Ulster V Leinster

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Radical ideas being proposed based on a lot of guesswork.

Let's hope the IRB does not proceed like that!!!!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well if a player is getting a pass and jumps to avoid being hit after he catches he can more or less jump around a tackle. If this was presented on the pitch I would imagine most refs would PK him for jumping into a tackle.
Without wishing to be contrary, would most refs be correct to penalise for jumping into the tackle? Is there a law against it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94YiGIte0BA

Had Williams's foot clipped Ojo's shoulder as he hurdled him, should Ojo have been off for tipping the man in the air? Or should WIlliams have been off for some category of dangerous play?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Exactly my view.

Ah; maybe it's not. After all, I was referring to Jutge's alleged pronouncement from the IRB, and to the appalling Payne decision.

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Without wishing to be contrary, would most refs be correct to penalise for jumping into the tackle? Is there a law against it?

Had Williams's foot clipped Ojo's shoulder as he hurdled him, should Ojo have been off for tipping the man in the air? Or should WIlliams have been off for some category of dangerous play?

Since my days as a minis player and all through my playing and/or other career I have had the strict understanding that you cannot jump over, into or around a tackle as it is both dangerous to the tackler and to the ball carrier.

Small video example of it getting pinged here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMNsEg0g8M

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

[LAWS]DEFINITIONS

Foul play is anything a player does within the playing enclosure that is against the letter and spirit of the Laws of the Game. It includes obstruction, unfair play, repeated infringements, dangerous play and misconduct which is prejudicial to the Game.
[/LAWS]
"dangerous play". The law does not specifically deal with foul play by a ball carrier, so it is down to 10.4 (m).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
dave_clark:273161 said:
Well the very one sided and badly thought out reactionary "directives" this week on players in the air seem to be pretty worry motivated.

have you read it?

It's not his fault if he hasn't read it, it's not in the public domain, the irb and RFU don't want to him to read it

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
:deadhorse:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It's not his fault if he hasn't read it, it's not in the public domain, the irb and RFU don't want to him to read it

in which case surely it's hard to determine whether it's one-sided, badly worded or reactionary!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:deadhorse:

well, I don't think so. while referees are continuing to issue cards apparently based on the guidance in this memo, then the issue is a live one.

and the curious incident with that video that supports the memo (taken down from youtube 90 minutes after it was linked to from here) shows that this is not merely a case of poor or WIP communication: the IRB/RFU really doesn't want this guidance to be made public. That's a live issue, and quite an interesting one: why ?

What do this memo and the 2009 one, also suppressed, have in common?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
well, I don't think so. while referees are continuing to issue cards apparently based on the guidance in this memo, then the issue is a live one.

and the curious incident with that video that supports the memo (taken down from youtube 90 minutes after it was linked to from here) shows that this is not merely a case of poor or WIP communication: the IRB/RFU really doesn't want this guidance to be made public. That's a live issue, and quite an interesting one: why ?

What do this memo and the 2009 one, also suppressed, have in common?

I refer the honourable member to my previous answer.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Missed what seemed to be a cracking spectable, but beach rugby in Majorca took preference over everything! (not reffing or playing, just watching).

re: the Tom Court red. Since 2 Ulster players were involved in the tackle, why was it deemed OK to single out a single player? Looking at it on youtube I'm guessing the the main thrust of the lift and drop was executed by Tom Court, but wasn't there something in a directive that said if 2 players were involved in the manner in which the tackled player was brought to ground, it would be nigh on impossible to decide which one caused the landing so it would have to be yellow? Or was that perhaps from an original directive that was no longer contained in the final tip/spear tackle directive?

If the tackle was executed by Tom Court alone it would be tough to not go for Red.

Bit of rabid anti-Ulster sentiment expressed earlier in this subject. Disappointing to see it IMHO.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Missed what seemed to be a cracking spectable, but beach rugby in Majorca took preference over everything! (not reffing or playing, just watching).

A bit off topic, but saw a pic of refs at Majorca beach rugby only this morning.
Got me thinking, seeing as I live in a sea-side town, a beach rugby tournament could be a good club fundraiser.
How popular is the tournament in Majorca? Is it a big deal?

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
It's a pretty big deal the Fat. There were 42 mens teams and 12 women's teams. 6 pitches and with the cooperation of 3 big bars and some good sponsors it's a well-organised and thoroughly enjoyable weekend. It's also the official opening weekend of the summer season in Magaluf.

The rules that are played are the official 5-a-side beach variants. Ameland in the Netherlands is the biggest beach rugby tournament I know of in Europe, there'll be at least 4.000 people invading a small island to the North of the Frisian coast in June.

We know have an official beach rugby league in Europe, I'll be at Ameland and Zeebrugge reffing those tournaments.

Great, great fun! Like sevens for the party atmosphere but obviously... on a beach!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Having now seen the Ruddock yellow card...

The ref expressly says that Ruddock gets a YC even if it was an accidental collision. Even the Payne decision didn't go that far, since the JO relied upon alleged recklessness on Payne's part to counter Payne's defence of accident. Isn't the idea of accidental foul play even the teensiest bit radical.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having now seen the Ruddock yellow card...

The ref expressly says that Ruddock gets a YC even if it was an accidental collision. Even the Payne decision didn't go that far, since the JO relied upon alleged recklessness on Payne's part to counter Payne's defence of accident. Isn't the idea of accidental foul play even the teensiest bit radical.

very radiacal.
our assumption is that the ref was not following the Payne precedent, but the advice given in the unseen memo... which (we believe) introduces this concept

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Or the referee used his own wordings to interpret the memo ?!?!