[Law] Ulster vs. Toulouse

mark.lucas

Post Likes
No clip as it's only half-time at the moment, but this one is bugging me.

Toulouse 6 is loosely bound at a breakdown and trips the Ulster SH as he gathers the ball from the base and prepares to pass. SH still gets the ball away and Ulster score. Wayne Barnes then reviews the play on video and sees the trip. Whilst the ball is dead he yellow cards the Toulouse 6. The restart is a normal restart by Toulouse following the conversion.

Surely a penalty has been given whilst the ball was dead and the restart at the centre should be a penalty to Ulster?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
But the offence was whilst the ball was live, as I understand it.

Penalty reversal instead of regular KO after try is extremely rare; let us keep it so.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Effectively Barnes was playing advantage and Ulster scored. He just went back and YCd the offender after the conversion.

As I understand it, a PK at the centre is only an option if there was an offence after the try was scored. This was before the try was scored, so the option doesn't exist.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
A penalty at the kick off would simply be wrong in law.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
[LAWS]22.17 (c) Any other foul play. When a player commits any other foul play in the in-goal while the ball is out of play, the penalty kick is awarded at the place where the game would otherwise have re-started.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]22.17 (c) Any other foul play. When a player commits any other foul play in the in-goal while the ball is out of play, the penalty kick is awarded at the place where the game would otherwise have re-started.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

This reference would only confuse the OP as the foul play was not in goal and the ball was not out of play. The correct answer, given by Taff at post #3, is that Barnes spotted an act of foul play but elected to play advantage. The advantage materialised in the form of a try, and when the ball was dead he reviewed the play. No need to award the PK, but Toulouse #6 deserved a card for his foul even if no PK arose due to the advantage, and WB issued it when the ball was next dead.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had something a bit similar earlier this season, a red player picked and went for the line, as he crossed the line a blue player tried to kick the ball out his arms (!) he made contact, but failed to dislodge the ball and try scored.
I awarded the try. Then YC him for dangerous play. And proceeded with conversion and normal restart, for the reasons above.