[In-goal] Unclear what happened in in goal

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
To answer the OP it looked like the ball was dropped and so I would have restarted with a 5m scrum to Spain (knock-on by Samoa).

I agree with DickieE that the kick and chase deserved the try, but he coughed it up at the death and - no doubt - earned the mirth of his team mates after the match.

FWIW I was surprised that neither the referee nor either AR spotted that the ball was dropped.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

FWIW I was surprised that neither the referee nor either AR spotted that the ball was dropped.

It has been known for a ref to blow his whistle to award the try just a fraction of a second before the try scorer fumbles the ball.
Oops

Indeed that once happened to a very good friend of mine.

It is suspected that every referee has done this exactly once in their career.

Anyone else got a friend who once did that ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If that was me on my own I'd call it a knock on.
I think that's the safe decision that few will argue with ..You cant give a try when everyone on the pitch saw it fumbled.

With a TMO you just go to the TMO

You are Ugo Monye AICM $5

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
As for what i f it had not actually been KO, ideally let play continue, but if ref has blown whistle then you are back to basics about ball dead in goal and I think you start with a 22 DO if taken in by attackers or 5m attacking scrum if taken in by defenders.

Suggestion above about scrum restart for ref stopping the game for any other reason, I think, is not the way to go as I think the ref blowing makes the ball dead in goal, and the the ref blowing for another reason is for in the field of play. So if the blue player had dropped the ball clearly backwards and a Spanish player grounded it it is 22 DO for me.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
But in the weeds, if you are not certain who grounded the ball you cannot award the try, so attacking scrum.