Urban Law Myths - PowerPoint presentation.

Stephan

Post Likes
Can you please send the PPT to me? I can't open it from the site for whatever reason.

thank you,

Stephan
Dutch referee

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can you please send the PPT to me? I can't open it from the site for whatever reason.

thank you,

Stephan
Dutch referee

Stephan
Check your emails.
Phil

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll add it to the Wiki today if that's ok Phil.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just thought I'd drag this one up due to the myth on the other thread that you can't touch/lean on the posts when a conversion is taking place.

The one I want to raise that we have a problem in these parts, as I saw twice in 2 weeks with the same response from the peanut gallery

The myth is:
Referee can't overrule the TJ/AR who indicates an unsuccessful goal kick (conv or PK). Even if it's only one TJ who indicates no goal then it is no goal!

Instance 1.U18 game. AR flag up, while TJ flag down (so he didn't drop his pie or spill his beer). Referee consults AR, and awards conversion. At end of game the 'Coach' refuses to believe he can do that and insists conversion does not stand as one flag down and his team had now won by 1, not lost by 1. Despite being informed of the laws, coach proceeds to submit his incorrect score to the league.

Instance 2. U13 game. (My 15 yo son who is ref). One TJ flag up, the other TJ belatedly raises his (but not sure and only followed the other guy). Son judges ball go directly over post and does not award it. TJ with flag up is adult coach of the team kicking and also a qualified referee, is not happy with referee. Referee tells TJ why he didn't award it. TJ disputes it and insists it was a goal. The Team Manager sees me dressed in my kit watching game (at this stage I've not seen or know what happened) and comes over to me.
'Excuse me, are you a coachy thingo helping young refs?'.
'Why yes I am, how can I help you?'
'Well THAT young boy referee just disallowed a conversion when the flags were up!. Surely he can't do that?'
'Actually he can, he is sole judge and he has final say if it's a goal or not. I suspect he saw the ball go directly over the top of the post and so it's not a goal and that's probably why he didn't award it. But I can't be sure, so Ill ask him after the game and find out and get back to you'.
Team manager tromps off with bewildered look on her face.

Son confirms exactly that happened. And told me he explained it to the disbelieving coach/referee. Good one son!:pepper:
I didn't bother explaining to the manager as the coach/referee was now well informed!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i forgot to tell you all about an incident in my last game that made me smile.

.. classic kick and chase over the blue 15
.. blue15 reaches the ball first, red in hot pursuit, and blue 15 falls on it
.. (here we go, think I)
.. red player arrives and goes for the ball
.. sure enough, call from a blue player 'he's got to let him up sir!'
.. followed by another shout, 'no, he doesn't!- it's a New Law!'

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Please add "a tackle is over once the ball is off the ground" :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I see what you did there dickie!