Urban Myths

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I blame London Society - who for years had a policy of no back row moves off uncontested scrums.

I understand they do it right nowadays.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I blame London Society - who for years had a policy of no back row moves off uncontested scrums.
I don't think Gloucestershire folk trust anything from that there Lunnon.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
some of my favourite urban myths;

- you can't take a penalty awarded for not retreating 10m at a previous penalty quickly

- you have to let the man on the ground up (we've had)

- I can't be offside in my own in-goal, the try line is my offside mark, not if I'm ahead of my teammate making the clearance kick

- we don't need to have a hooker at a line out (sorry guys, you're confusing that with receiver)

:)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

- you can't take a penalty awarded for not retreating 10m at a previous penalty quickly

I wouldn't call this an urban myth. I would either call time off and either warn the offender's captain or bin the offender.

Davet

Post Likes
I wouldn't call this an urban myth. I would either call time off and either warn the offender's captain or bin the offender.

Fine and dandy - and I would applaud you.

BUT - the law doesn't say you can't take another quick one, all it says is that you have to wait for the mark to be made by the ref.

So if, after you have carded the offender you restart the clock, award the advanced kick and make the mark - as soon as you make that mark then they can tap and go.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
irishref:225822 said:

:)

At a 7's tournament last weekend:

I ping the defending team about 10 metres from ingoal for sealing at a tackle. One of their players starts yelling at me, so I march to the 5 metre line, make the mark. As the attacker is taking the quick tap,I hear "you can't take the second one quick ". This gets repeated as I award the try. I was going to correct them, but I wasn't sure I could do it although laughing (it did make me smile)

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
i keep a good supply of law books in the car, everytime one of these comes up i throw them a law book and say "the beer is on me for the rest of the season if you can show me that one in there".

Seems like a good way to give away law books, you never know one of the players might read one, one day :chin:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes

Hmm. 1st min of game Red attacking 30m out you give a PK. Green complain - you march them 10. What would red prefer? - the option to go quick or no option to go quick.

Sometimes the b%llocking (which let's be clear is coming) can wait.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So let me double treble quadruple check! As SOON as I make the mark the team can go, and I can make this as fast as I like? (I like a quick game!).

I tend to make it pretty sharpish if the need arises, and have only stopped someone going quick again once as I had to bin the cynical cheat! Just checking I can do that.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
So let me double treble quadruple check! As SOON as I make the mark the team can go, and I can make this as fast as I like? (I like a quick game!).
Yes, they can go as soon as you've made the 2nd mark BUT but my understanding was that the ref takes a reasonable time to make the 2nd mark. Ie we have to give the oppos a fair chance to trot back another 10m.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, they can go as soon as you've made the 2nd mark BUT but my understanding was that the ref takes a reasonable time to make the 2nd mark. Ie we have to give the oppos a fair chance to trot back another 10m.

the oppo have to RUN back (that is in the Law book), so they don't need time to trot.

Having said, though, I wouldn't advise a ref to run forward 10m and make a mark.
I think that it's appropriate to move quiickly to the old mark (if you are not on it already) and then pace out 10m at your normal walking pace, then make a new one.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I tend to make it pretty sharpish if the need arises, and have only stopped someone going quick again once as I had to bin the cynical cheat! Just checking I can do that.
Game management comes in here. If you've awarded a PK and have had to march the offenders back 10, "something" is going on - there's a risk you may be losing the trust or respect of the players. Knowing (as we do but they don't) that there is this urban myth out there, you are at liberty to dash as fast as you can the new mark and dig in your heel to make the mark - but in doing so, what does that do to the "something" that is already bubbling under the surface? You risk having the game get away from you, on account of your wish to demonstrate your superior technical knowledge.

Many of us take the view that if we stride purposefully toward the new mark, signalling and verbalising all the while what's going on, then that gives the offending team the opportunity to reorganise should they choose to take it. Most of us can then say that if you guys can't react while an old fart like me waddles to the mark, shame on you! Sadly, young bucks like jonesp92 will have to think of smart remarks that suit them. However, the point is there; if they've sat back on their haunches despite your clear indications and lack of undue haste, they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Davet

Post Likes
As noted above - all good and accurate advice.

All that said, then anyone inside his 22 who deliberately fails to get back 10 and then interferes should be very very grateful to whatever gods they have if they don't get a YC. In terms of game management, you may well do that before making the second mark. You can delay it... but it can work against you in terms of players reactions if you do so.

Just for clarity, the ref does NOT need to make a mark for the initial PK; but teams should note they must be within a gnat's crotchet of the place where the "mark" would be made - or probably a metre, anyway.

And you should have told them (as they will hear every week) that they cannot tap&go behind your back.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i'd add one more rider -- if you DO stop for a word, or a YC, then the table is turned. Now to DO have to make sure that captain and player you have spoken to have time to retire before time on.

also if you have said to your captain 'talk to your team' - as you probably did - it would be pretty poor to allow a quick tap while the captain is doing so..