Varsity Match

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Isn't that how it came about that Hartley was cited when Ferris apparently tried to fish-hook him? Did that go to the TMO on the day, or was it just a citing?

Ferris showed NO the bite marks and I think the citing went in after the game.

Hartley really is a fine role model!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ferris showed NO the bite marks and I think the citing went in after the game.

Yes - re-reading the panel report, Ferris appealed to the referee but the TO3 couldn't see anything.

Hartley really is a fine role model!

Maybe; but on that occasion, more sinned against than sinning.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes - re-reading the panel report, Ferris appealed to the referee but the TO3 couldn't see anything.

Maybe; but on that occasion, more sinned against than sinning.

Maybe?

Gouging.
Biting.
Calling the referee a f*****g cheat.

And they're just the headline ones.

Maybe?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If someone stuck their fingers in my mouth and tried to rip my cheek off then I would probably bite them too!

The other ones...can't defend so much!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If someone stuck their fingers in my mouth and tried to rip my cheek off then I would probably bite them too!
Had a Taunton open-side do that to me once, when as a centre I had the temerity to get involved in a ruck. Try as I could, I was unable to bite the bar steward, so had to wring the living daylights out of his balls.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

If we're reading each other literally - no, I disagree with your expressed view that that he's a fine role model...

Gouging.
Biting.
Calling the referee a f*****g cheat.

And they're just the headline ones.

Maybe?

Biting - you put your fingers in my mouth with malicious, or even indeterminate, intent, and they'll get bitten. No excuse for Ferris (whose explanation of where and why he put his figners was not accepted by the panel), nor criticism for Hartley, who did what anyone else in his situation would do.

The others: don't make him a role model.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
so do we know the ban for the RC?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The commentators' attitude made me laugh:

Not much wrong with that he was only trying to rip his head guard off. Is the gist of one comment. Why was he even trying to do that?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Whilst one never knows the line of sight of the AR on that side, one would have expected - at the least - a 'Flag In'!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Whilst one never knows the line of sight of the AR on that side, one would have expected - at the least - a 'Flag In'!

I disagree. Eye gouging is incredibly difficult to detect live unless you get very lucky as a ref/AR. Over in an instant and you have to be looking right at it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The commentators' attitude made me laugh:

Not much wrong with that he was only trying to rip his head guard off. Is the gist of one comment. Why was he even trying to do that?

The commentators attitude is crass didnt make me laugh, it's bringing the game into disrepute IMO.

I'll widen my soapbox ..... keep all hands off all area's from neck upwards ..... inflamatory at best, dangerous or thuggary at worst, lets get rid.

Anyone who put their fingers into my face or eyes [when I played] got bitten to the bone until they squeal like a pig ...... The offenders know exactly what they are doing, dirty dirty DIRTY b*****ds .....I gtee you no-one ever did it twice !

rocco

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
We went along to this. Apart from the early part, it was rather men against boys with the more professional Oxford approach continuing to pay dividends. The Cambridge scrum was always in trouble especially at TH and after a while was almost a guaranteed penalty against so there had no foundation. Cambridge backs provided some parity but went the 10 was hit illegally whilst on the ground gathering the ball and taken off injured the game was over.

In terms of the red card we didn't initially know what the delay was for until the replays were shown and looked bad in slow mo, not only the figure curl but stopping in the eye socket. Only he will know what was in his mind as he had just scored a try and will have gone from hero to villain for life in an important community to him. Looking at the recording when we got home you could he the player reporting it to the ref. it is a tricky balance on whether to go to TMO solely on player reports so it doesn't get exploited bloodbath style but were there are cowardly, despicable and dangerous acts like this, I would prefer to use resources like the TMO to stamp this out and protect players. If a player reports biting we would look for evidence so a report of interfering with the eyes should also look for evidence including TMO.