Venter again .. but does he have a point?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Don't know - didn't see the game.

But the ERC comment that no effort ahd been made to get refs to apply the laws consistently and in accordance with iRB directives is not what I would have expected. Though they may feel that the iRB efforts were all that was required.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But the ERC comment that no effort ahd been made to get refs to apply the laws consistently and in accordance with iRB directives is not what I would have expected. Though they may feel that the iRB efforts were all that was required.
According to Venter, "They said nothing." Does that mean that said they had done nothing, or that they did not answer?

Should we in fact expect the ERC to be training referees?

When I read comments like this
Venter felt French referee Christophe Berdos should have sin-binned at least three Leinster players and awarded 50 more penalties in the match
I lose sympathy - and I had little to start with.

The other article says
Blowing up for attackers going off their feet at the breakdown, unless obviously acting as a major hindrance to the defence, is petty and tedious.
Why are they going off their feet? To prevent the defence competing for the ball of course. Naturally such illegality should be ignored :D .

I didn't see the game, so I don't know if Berdos' decisions were wrong or not, but if the players were infringing, it is hard to argue that he was wrong.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I watched it. Berdos was fine IMO.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
50 more penalties and only 3 yellow cards?? shouldnt it be at least 10 yellow cards if you have to give 50 penalties? :bday:

They should just eff off learn to play within the laws and stop their moaning.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I watched it. Berdos was fine IMO.

I watched it too.. IMO, Berdos made a complete mess of the breakdown, pinged things unnecessarily, and let go things that needed hammering. It looked like game from 2009.

► What happened to the tackler releasing the tackled player so he can play it?

► What happenend to the tackle assist releasing the tackled player before going around through the gate?

Berdos would be on stand-down right now if he put that kind of performance on the park in the ITM Cup.

Blowing up for attackers going off their feet at the breakdown, unless obviously acting as a major hindrance to the defence, is petty and tedious.
I agree 100% with Venter on this, and it is one of my pet hates.
When a ruck is moving forward, with a team on attack with the ball at the back, and the defending team fanning out and not attempting to contest, to then PK an attacker for going off their feet, when they are not affecting the game at all is plain stupid refereeing.

If you want to turn the game clock back to the kickfest we had 12 months ago, then that is one of the best ways of doing it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When a ruck is moving forward, with a team on attack with the ball at the back, and the defending team fanning out and not attempting to contest, to then PK an attacker for going off their feet, when they are not affecting the game at all is plain stupid refereeing.
This is similar to the argument about not pinging a crooked throw in the lineout if the opponents do not compete: if that is your approach they will see no point in competing.

I think the same applies at the breakdown. After all, why are the players not staying on their feet? At that level it should not be a case of incompetence. If it is effectively deliberate, then they are presumably trying to prevent the opponents from contesting possession. And if they dive over first, then of course the opponent are not going to waste effort competing.

The behaviour is clearly illegal, so the defence of it relies on materiality. To me that is inappropriate.

It is also significant that Berdos had to keep doing it. Don't they listen and learn? Or have they been coached to dive over and cannot break a bad habit?

Incidentally, it is interesting to note that over on Planet-Rugby the general feeling seem to be anti-Venter.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm entirely with OB on this one. I didn't see the game, but the argument that attackers shouldn't be penalised for going off their feet at a breakdown due to materiality cuts very little sway with me. In fact I think it is more likely to lead to kicking, as in 2007, when the defending sides just didn't compete at the breakdowns, which led them to just spread out, hence no spaces out wide, hence the only two options are bash through the middle or kick (honestly, watch games from the WC or some of the Munster HC matches). If the defending side feels they can compete, they will at least some of the time, and thus more defenders in the ruck = more space out wide :bday: .

I've watched most of both rounds of the HC this year so far, and Berdos was IMO the best ref the first week, and amongst the top 3 the second. Fair and consistent. Just because you have the ball doesn't mean you can infringe with impunity, rugby is not all about throwing it around all the time.

I do enjoy the fact that the benefit of the doubt if you like is being accorded to the attacking team, but don't agree that this should come at the expense of a fair contest at the breakdown (which it has in some of the matches I've watched - see for example Andrew Small in Toulouse-Dragons, and I like Small).

Also, I have absolutely had it with Venter and his rants at referees. How many times will he be allowed to get 'away' with it? We wouldn't accept it at community level if a website publicly slated the ref in the manner he does... Whether he is right or wrong (in this case he is wrong, last year he had a point but that wasn't the correct way to make it) changes nothing.

Davet

Post Likes
I have suspected Venters motives for a while now. He seems determined to create a silo mentality at Saracens, to put the club into an us vs the rest dualism. By doing this he may be trying to foster the team spirit, and perhaps also put a little doubt in future refs minds - how "up" for getting slagged are they, will they change the way they ref just a tad? I would hope not, but it's a hard call - especially as some of the press will try to fan the flames and build a story.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This is similar to the argument about not pinging a crooked throw in the lineout if the opponents do not compete: if that is your approach they will see no point in competing.
You didn't read and understand what I posted did you:nono:

Perhaps I can clarify....

When a ruck is moving forward, with a team on attack with the ball at the back, and the defending team (already) fanning out and not attempting to contest, to then PK an attacker for going off their feet, when they are not affecting the game at all is plain stupid refereeing.
Despite what some people think, there is NO Law of the Game that states players at a ruck must not go off their feet, only that they must not do so deliberately

16.3 RUCKING
(a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.

Sanction: Penalty kick
(b) A player must not intentionally fall or kneel in a ruck. This is dangerous play.
(c) A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.

The Law talks about endeavour and intention, not about the action or the result.

I have seen players being pinged for going off their feet regularly in NH competitions, and many, many of them have been in circumstances such as

1. They trip over a defender on the ground who has not rolled away.
2. They are knocked off their feet by other players joining the ruck.
3. They are pulled over by a defender.
4. They are pushing/leaning on a ruck and the player they are leaning on gives way.
5. They have attempted to clean out a defender and the defender steps aside.

In none of these examples do the players go to ground intentionally, so if the referee penalises them, he is wrong in Law to do so. It is pedantic and un-necessary, and it becomes a disincentive to play attacking rugby with the ball in-hand.

Take a look at the ITM Cup this year, and you'll see referees applying Law 16.3 (a) only if it is material, and the result has been the most exciting, high speed elite domestic rugby competition anywhere in the world in years. We are getting back to the great days of 1990's rugby when attacking rugby was given an incentive to play with the ball in hand, while defensive rugby that uses illegal, negative tactics to stifle open play was caned off the park.

In the above examples, I would react as follows;

1. Adv/PK the player on the ground for not rolling away - 15.4(b) or 15.5 (b)
2. Adv/PK the player who knocked that player off their feet (could be a team-mate) - 10.2 (a)
3. PK the defender who pulled their opponent off their feet - 10.2 (a)
4. Ignore as immaterial. No PK
5. Ignore as immaterial. No PK

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You didn't read and understand what I posted did you

Perhaps I can clarify....
My turn to clarify.

You are postulating a ruck being driven forward. Good. That means the defenders are having to keep coming back round.
And if they [the attackers] dive over first, then of course the opponent are not going to waste effort competing.
Next point.
Despite what some people think, there is NO Law of the Game that states players at a ruck must not go off their feet, only that they must not do so deliberately
After all, why are the players not staying on their feet? At that level it should not be a case of incompetence. If it is effectively deliberate, then they are presumably trying to prevent the opponents from contesting possession.

I have not seen the game, so I do not know if iI would agree that Berdos was penalising accidental diving over.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OB

I have no problem with players being PK when they intentionally go to ground in a position where they are preventing opponents from contesting the ball. What I object to is penalising them for the mere fact they have gone to ground when it is having no material effect.

Do we automatically PK a player who is in front of a kick for the mere fact that he is there, regardless of material effect? No we don't; if he is having an immediate material effect, ping, and if not we manage it by telling them to get back and PK them if they fail to comply.

Why should this be any different? Why not simply tell the player going to ground to get clear and rejoin if there is no immediate disadvantage to his opponent.

I have not seen the game, so I do not know if iI would agree that Berdos was penalising accidental diving over.

I have, and he was.

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was taught nothing happens by accident :biggrin: !

Davet

Post Likes

Often said - but I don't really subscribe to the notion that even professional rugby is played by supermen who calculate every action to the 5th decimal point and have such superb physical prowess that they never fall over by accident.

Nice myth - but, frankly, unhelpful.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Answer to the question - YES he does have a point.

Consistency between HRC referees from different countries is not as good as in the Premiership, and I suspect far too little time has been spent on coach / match official protocol dicsussions and agreement.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Often said - but I don't really subscribe to the notion that even professional rugby is played by supermen who calculate every action to the 5th decimal point and have such superb physical prowess that they never fall over by accident.
Agree with Davet that this can never be more than a starting position. However, I wonder what happened to the "planes landing" and "planes taking off" analogy? So many pro players now hit the ruck in a "planes landing" attitude that I can;t help conclude:

a) it's been coached
b) it's to be expected that they will end up off their feet
c) it would be perfectly reasonable to ping them for failing to make an effort to stay on their feet

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
thanks ST for answering the Q ...
it's about perceptions, i think, and if it is perceived that ERC havent done this then ... it will be so and picked up by the likes of Venter.

i watched the tape of the game last night.. my thoughts
i agreed with nearly all the breakdown pks that CB blew for.
the slo mo replays helped.

i think he (and ARs) missed 2 offsides by Leinster.
2/3 cynical plays by Leinster.
2 high tackles by Leinster.
too many sentinels/guards.

but as he was closer than I to the action he may not have seen this as I did.

Saracens lost that match due to incompetence not thru the referee or his interpretation. I say that as a Sarries fan.
Leinster were smarter. Their defence was very very good.
It's about inches at that level and Leinster strove for those inches and stepped up.
Sarries lost 3 restarts and missed a couple of pks.
they went wide and wide and wide without earning the right first, this is easy to defend against. They didnt show too much nous or big game experience and execution.
in the last few mins ... they went thru 28 phases ... the first 9 phases took them across the park one way then the other and back again .. but they only just got over the gain line from the original scrum !

anyway CB was way better than Saint Wayne .... see my other fred

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have no problem with players being PK when they intentionally go to ground in a position where they are preventing opponents from contesting the ball. What I object to is penalising them for the mere fact they have gone to ground when it is having no material effect.
The breakdown is a point of contest. It is rare for diving over to be immaterial.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dixie and OB have produced two very good points with which i wholeheartedly agree ....