Visiting New Zealand Soon - out of season?

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Mrs Skids & I jet down to NZ this Saturday (4 Feb) and spend the next 3 weeks or so touring South Island. We are taking the odd day off here and there and whilst it would be brilliant if we could catch a local match somewhere, I'm assuming that because it's summer there, it's out of season? Correct?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Correct

Super Rugby starts in NZ on Friday 24 Feb (Highlanders at home to the Chiefs) although there are some preseason games. These are the preseason games in NZ that I know of

Sat 4 Feb
Blues v Hurricanes, Alexandra Park, Epsom - 2.30pm
Crusaders v Highlanders, Darfield RFC Ground - 5.00pm

Fri 17 Feb
Hurricanes v Crusaders, Border RFC Ground, Waverley - 5.00pm
Blues v Chiefs, Suburbs RFC Ground, Auckland -5:30pm

Club Rugby (grassroots) doesn't begin until March.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Correct

Super Rugby starts in NZ on Friday 24 Feb (Highlanders at home to the Chiefs) although there are some preseason games. These are the preseason games in NZ that I know of

Sat 4 Feb
Blues v Hurricanes, Alexandra Park, Epsom - 2.30pm
Crusaders v Highlanders, Darfield RFC Ground - 5.00pm

Fri 17 Feb
Hurricanes v Crusaders, Border RFC Ground, Waverley - 5.00pm
Blues v Chiefs, Suburbs RFC Ground, Auckland -5:30pm

Club Rugby (grassroots) doesn't begin until March.

Ian

Thanks. Unfortunately our itinerary doesn't allow us to get to any of those games.

But maybe we can find a bar screening them! :nz:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cricket it is then!

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If Skids visited the USA in the summertime he could most likely find a 7s tournament happening locally and I had thought that would be similar in NZ. Then I read this commentary:

[FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]"Barely 10,000 spectators came to the Wellington event. Ever [/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]since the “party” ambiance was withdrawn from the tournament,[/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif] fan interest declined dramatically. World Rugby cannot sustain a major sevens tournament with only 10,000 in attendance. A decision must be made soon where to move the Wellington event."

What did they mean by the part in
[/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]red[/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]?

[/FONT]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
if its been like any large sevens event I lastattended (probably 80s/90s!) it probably means "not allowed to throw beer at each other for hours on end" and where the action in the middle becomes a distant second to what happens on the terraces/seating

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I remember going to the Middlesex Sevens when
(a) you could buy 8-pints cans of beer;
(b) in the long gap between semis and the final you could run around the pitch using the (now empty) can as a ball and "score tries";
(c) it was de rigueur to boo London Welsh.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I remember going to the Middlesex Sevens when
(a) you could buy 8-pints cans of beer;
(b) in the long gap between semis and the final you could run around the pitch using the (now empty) can as a ball and "score tries";
(c) it was de rigueur to boo London Welsh.

(d) Wigan Rugby League entered a team and smashed everyone to win it (awesome side that one).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
(d) Wigan Rugby League entered a team and smashed everyone to win it (awesome side that one).
1996. Martin Offiah, Shaun Edwards, Andy Farrell, Tuigamala and a young Jason Robinson played for Wigan that year.

My memory was from the 1970s.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
think I was there that year with Wigan (watching - and getting soaked with thrown beer!)

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I remember Offiah before he went North playing for Rosslyn Park coming up against Andy Harriman of Quins, who somewhat negated one another.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If Skids visited the USA in the summertime he could most likely find a 7s tournament happening locally and I had thought that would be similar in NZ. Then I read this commentary:

"Barely 10,000 spectators came to the Wellington event. Ever since the “party” ambiance was withdrawn from the tournament, fan interest declined dramatically. World Rugby cannot sustain a major sevens tournament with only 10,000 in attendance. A decision must be made soon where to move the Wellington event."

What did they mean by the part in
red?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation...628/Wowsers-have-ruined-the-Wellington-Sevens

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
similar problems with the Twickenham Sevens which reached an all-time nadir in 2015 with a stadium full of extremely drunken fans, all in costume, hyped up by the organised party-atmosphere, and then who went on a drunken rampage through town. According to a lot of stories locally - two people actually died that weekend - one on the railway and one in the river. The railway one was a heart-attack that might/might not be connected to alcohol, the river by all accounts was a drunken attempt to swim across.

in 2016 the RFU restricted the crowd size right back, and marketed it as a family event with a world food festival, and quit the encouraged, themed dressing up.