Volunteers?

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Anyone in the country for the WC should volunteer. Mostly because theyre well short of target... And because it will be intense fun to just be part of something this big.

I'm a photo assistant in Dunedin... And that means being sideline!:bday:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm a referee, but apparently they don't need anymore of them, and if they did, there is approximately 2000 in the queue ahead of me!
:wink:

I want to get tickets and the game tickets look reasonably priced, the package deals however seem to be rip off city!!!!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have the deepest sympathy for the loss of life and disruption caused by the Christchurch earthquake, and its logistical impact on RWC 2011. I also retain the utmost respect for Kiwi Rugby, but I remain doubtful as to the suitability of this small population country for a RWC, which I had at the time of the annoucement a few years ago. From personal experience it is difficult & expensive to travel to NZ, with relatively poor road / rail communications between the dispersed major cities, and with limited visitor accommodation options.

I hope I am proved wrong, but I struggle to see how NZ can generate the critical mass of volunteers from within its own population and also attract the scale of visiting fan bases that a Lions Tour would do.

I am anticipating a terrific on field tournament, some brilliant matches and a final that is outstanding. But I suspect early match crowds may be low, incoming fans limited and the RWC profit to the IRB is going to be low.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I believe the RWC is expected to make a loss, I remember hearing somewhere that NZ$30m loss was a success and the NZ population will pick up the rest.

However, I see government being harassed out of power if NZ don't win the cup. If they win it, the people won't mind paying (as much).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Anyone in the country for the WC should volunteer. Mostly because theyre well short of target... And because it will be intense fun to just be part of something this big. I'm a photo assistant in Dunedin... And that means being sideline!:bday:
If I was anywhere near NZ I'd volunteer for something in a flash. My brother was in the Welsh team that went to the Commonwealth Games in Canada a few years ago, and came back with good reports of the volunteers helping out there.

I know the cost of package trips can be expensive, but a mate of mine arranged his own flights to and from SA for the last Lions tour and saved a fair chunk. I wonder if they have areas for the fans to camp like they do for the footy World Cup? Thanks to the recession though, I'll be watching it all on a big screen somewhere. :(

Last edited:

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I'm a referee, but apparently they don't need anymore of them, and if they did, there is approximately 2000 in the queue ahead of me!
:wink:

I want to get tickets and the game tickets look reasonably priced, the package deals however seem to be rip off city!!!!

I looked at tickets, however to any game I would shell out to see was too spendy.

Volunteering was an easy in, and because of being a referee meant I got a great role - The interviewer knew I'd not piss about much. we're all still kissing up to the Development Officer to let us be waterboy for a game or two but!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Hmmmm,

Might look into it....

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I have the deepest sympathy for the loss of life and disruption caused by the Christchurch earthquake, and its logistical impact on RWC 2011. I also retain the utmost respect for Kiwi Rugby, but I remain doubtful as to the suitability of this small population country for a RWC, which I had at the time of the annoucement a few years ago. From personal experience it is difficult & expensive to travel to NZ, with relatively poor road / rail communications between the dispersed major cities, and with limited visitor accommodation options.

I hope I am proved wrong, but I struggle to see how NZ can generate the critical mass of volunteers from within its own population and also attract the scale of visiting fan bases that a Lions Tour would do.

I am anticipating a terrific on field tournament, some brilliant matches and a final that is outstanding. But I suspect early match crowds may be low, incoming fans limited and the RWC profit to the IRB is going to be low.

It's running at a loss definitely. The shortfall is supposed to be footed by the govt and made up by tourism revenue. Which won't happen.

The games arent all in big cities, which is a wee plus - it will be much easier to tour around and see several games in towns like Taupo, Napier and Invercargill.
Rail in this country is non existent, so it's all going to be driving, as well as cruise ships and flights. I think we'll see the price of tickets drop if not enough are sold, but the slack will be picked up by locals, not tourists.

Oh, and it'd almost be worth having the ABs lose to see this government ousted!

Chris Picard

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Heading over for ten days, should be a fun trip. Volunteering for a match or two maybe fun. Can you send over a PM with the details?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and this ...

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not to mention ...

Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm down for three weeks, but all on the North Island (though I do make it to Wellington for 5 days at the end of the pool matches).

I'm happy "our" games are in Hawke's Bay. We drive out of Auckland the day the Paddies and Crims roll in for the match on Saturday, at which point that city is going to turn into a drunken mess.

I'll be sipping Sauvignon Blanc in Wine Country and soaking my balls in the ocean (we're doing a lot of golfing and I'm a bad golfer).

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
We should try and make an RRF Meet up (RWC Dinner?)

I'll be there for the Scotland pool games, with Argentina and England in our group, I'm not making any plans beyond that just yet!
:cry:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
We should try and make an RRF Meet up (RWC Dinner?) I'll be there for the Scotland pool games, with Argentina and England in our group, I'm not making any plans beyond that just yet! :cry:
Oh ye of little faith. :D