Wales V Ireland Players killing the ball

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
First half Wales in trouble and they start killing the ball. Poite does nothing and Ireland start "rucking the man".
Second half and the tables are turned. Poite does nothing (well he finally gives 2 YCs to Ireland) and Wales start "rucking the man". There could be a citing or two. But don't "we" have a duty to act quickly and prevent the vigilante action by quickly dealing with the ball killing?

Had Poite dealt with Wales in the first half the comeback could have been totally irrelevant. Had he dealt more firmly with Ireland in the second half, Wales might have snatch the game.

Frustrating game but exciting in its own way.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Not a fan of Poite. His breakdown standards leave a lot to be desired.
When players are left to their own devices you get rugby's own version of escalation.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
adam jones - not a single legal bind in then 1st half many of them under poite's nose. From reverse angles and overheads he didn;t manage that I cold his side on in the 2nd half either. No wonder his elbow points down and "hits the ground first" yadda yadda.

He did do Jones for collapsing - when going foprward on a small wheel, and Healy oing backwards under pressure. I don't claim to be BCM666 and have his level of depth of understanding, but that smacked of a guessed decision.

didds

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What about Rory Best YC? I thought he was going to call unsuccessful end to maul and then, suddenly, PK and YC (had no sound on the bar, so not sure what he pinged him for).

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
His ruck management was terrible, both sides falling the wrong side of the ball and the teams left to sort it out themselves, as ATR said this could lead to citings as a result of his failure to control the area.

A simple case of quick pens early would have sorted out both sets of players from "falling" on the wrong side.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
as ATR said this could lead to citings as a result of his failure to control the area.
Let's be clear: any citing will be because of players electing to act outside the laws of the game in a manner which, if seen (or acted upon) at the time might have warranted a red card - not because of M. Poite's refereeing, which is never citeable no matter how much he may have missed.

But I agree that effective and preemptive refereeing would have avoided the situation in which players elected to act illegally.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Lots of stamping on bodies yet again at the top level, Mike philips does it nearly every ruck!!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Let's be clear: any citing will be because of players electing to act outside the laws of the game in a manner which, if seen (or acted upon) at the time might have warranted a red card - not because of M. Poite's refereeing, which is never citeable no matter how much he may have missed.

But I agree that effective and preemptive refereeing would have avoided the situation in which players elected to act illegally.

Sadly if we don't act, the players will become frustrated and the nasty stuff starts. We have to share the blame. If we abdicate our responsibility then we must expect / anticipate that the players will decide that we can't be relied upon to do anything.

Of course we can't be cited but if we choose not (fail) to referee a critical part of the game we must expect a less than glowing assessment and the possibility of a downgrading of our appointments if we fail to "take on board" the comments of our assessor / adviser.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Accuracy in decision making is essential at the top level and clearly there are those who feel that Poite tends to let things go at times. It would be interesting, however, to know which the lads on the park prefer. Climb on the chap who is lying on the wrong side or stand back and hope the ref will blow? There are many (probably not experts in law) who rather enjoy the games when Poite is in charge.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Lots of stamping on bodies yet again at the top level, Mike philips does it nearly every ruck!!

To be fair though Phillips does tend to confine going off his feet to the local High Street.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
But don't "we" have a duty to act quickly and prevent the vigilante action by quickly dealing with the ball killing?

Yes. Very much yes.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Will Tipuric be in trouble? Possibly North too.
1:17:05 & 1:20:20 in the video

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Will Tipuric be in trouble? Possibly North too.
1:17:05 & 1:20:20 in the video

Fists one seemed to be an accident, boot on the side of the face, but not deliberate - the 2nd one seemed more like a ctable offence, clearly very reckless and dangerous even if you feel it was not malicious.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Fists one seemed to be an accident, boot on the side of the face, but not deliberate - the 2nd one seemed more like a ctable offence, clearly very reckless and dangerous even if you feel it was not malicious.

I'm not going to hold my breath. Will not be surprised if nothing happens.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
What about Rory Best YC? I thought he was going to call unsuccessful end to maul and then, suddenly, PK and YC (had no sound on the bar, so not sure what he pinged him for).

Poite called it for Best going "2 green, in at the side".
He could have given a peno for not releasing the tackled player, but I'm with your initial assessment.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Best gave a masterclass on how to play the ref! He could have gone earlier as one often had the feeling that the hand deceived the eye. Well, Poite's eye anyway! And when he came back on he continued with great skill! Some of the English team still have a lot to learn!