Wales v Tonga

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From what I've been told by a medic, the only time you should touch a player whom is on the ground seriously injured is if they're face-down in a puddle of water - no point keeping the spine ok if they're dead.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
From what I've been told by a medic, the only time you should touch a player whom is on the ground seriously injured is if they're face-down in a puddle of water - no point keeping the spine ok if they're dead.

spreadbury once said, at a meeting I went to : the other one to look for is : swallowed tongue. It's life threatening and easy to fix.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
it looks like Wales did to Tonga what Scotland did to NZ in the RWC game in murrayfield
1- exercised their rights, and forced the away team to change strip
2- then changed their own strip anyway.

ridiculous

What right? We don't use RFU rules. Home team changes.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
You're joking. I couldn't delete it fast enough.

My wife commented on that, and I've often wondered what I would do if caught in a similar situation. I know how to put someone in the Recovery Position but should I? If they have a neck injury, you risk making it worse by rolling him onto his side, but if he's sparked out and on his back, you risk him choking on his own tongue by not rolling him on his side.

You check his airway first. If that is clear do not move him. If he can't breath he is dead anyway so you only move him if his life is in danger.

Swallowing your tongue is a myth. Apparently, you can't do it.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
spreadbury once said, at a meeting I went to : the other one to look for is : swallowed tongue. It's life threatening and easy to fix.

Will definitely keep that in mind. Had never thought of it before. Cheers crossref.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
At that level they should leave him. If he obstructs his airway it will be for a matter of seconds as professional help is sprinting on and will secure his c spine and protect his airway on arrival. Whereas moving him in an amateur fashion is potentially very dangerous. I would advise a pro player who is concerned about another player to signal that concern to the physio and make sure they are coming on.

At community level life is tougher! It could be 40 minutes until an ambulance arrives and you may not have anyone around trained to deal with an unconscious player after a serious collision.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Swallowing your tongue is a myth. Apparently, you can't do it.

googling it, you seem to be right. It's great what you can learn here.

But unconscious people can have blocked airway -- Will Greenwood certainly beleives he swallowed his tongue in that Lions game. perhaps 'swallowed' tongue is shorthand for floppy tongue/soft tissue blocking airway.