[6N] Wayne Barnes communication

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought Wayne Barnes dealt with Saturday's ending as best he could, and showed himself one of the best and calmest operators in our little reffing world. One "criticism" I would have would be some of his communication to and about players. I know it is different at international level and they are seeing these guys week in week out, but I'm sure I heard him call Sam Warburton "Warby" at one point, and when communicating about going back for a yellow card "to Dan Biggar" rather than "#10". Maybe a minor thing in such a major game but are there any opinions on this type of thing? Could it have impacted how he was perceived by the French if he was not using nicknames/first names etc for them (he may have been and I didn't hear it, of course)?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
There seemed to be quite a bit of first names used this weekend (and in the tournament). I don't think it matters as long as it does not affect the respect that is accorded to the ref or to the players, and I don't think it did in WvF, although WB was offered a lot of "advice" by Dan Bigger :eek:)

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought Wayne Barnes dealt with Saturday's ending as best he could, and showed himself one of the best and calmest operators in our little reffing world. Agree.

One "criticism" I would have would be some of his communication to and about players. I know it is different at international level and they are seeing these guys week in week out, but I'm sure I heard him call Sam Warburton "Warby" at one point, and when communicating about going back for a yellow card "to Dan Biggar" rather than "#10". Maybe a minor thing in such a major game but are there any opinions on this type of thing? It's not to be encouraged.

Could it have impacted how he was perceived by the French if he was not using nicknames/first names etc for them (he may have been and I didn't hear it, of course)?

To be consistent, he should then have addressed the french by their nicknames.

Gouge'r, Gnasher & Oscar were playing & Concussion Manipulator came on from the touchline !

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
To be consistent, he should then have addressed the french by their nicknames.

Gouge'r, Gnasher & Oscar were playing & Concussion Manipulator came on from the touchline !

Looks like your whining box is opened :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
WB was offered a lot of "advice" by Dan Bigger :eek:)

Biggar has a lot of "advice" for every ref it seems, and a "cum" face for every occasion.

Its the thin end of the wedge. He needs to be given a few cards including a RC if appropriate to start sending a message.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see a problem with it. When you're facing the defensive line (and they're usually the guys you want to shout at) you can't see their numbers and if you can recognise their faces it makes it much easier. Though I realise there's less shouting at players to get back onside at the top level.

Just don't call them "Big Ears", "Fatty" or "Ginger". That doesn't go down well.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Just don't call them "Big Ears", "Fatty" or "Ginger". That doesn't go down well.

Or Gypsy Boy.

but you can call him "English twat" ;-)

(lights blue touch paper and retires...)

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The truth is an absolute defence...

that didn't really work for Joe Marler did it?

unless of course it is claimed that a 23 year old cannot be a "boy" I suppose?

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As with all things consistency is called for. Treat BOTH sides the same. As long as that is observed I have no problem with anything the ref and players are comfortable with.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rating: Sir, am I allowed to call an officer a prick?

Officer: Certainly not!!

Rating: Well Sir, am I allowed to think an officer is a prick?

Officer: I suppose you can think whatever you like.

Rating: Oh, good then. Sir, I think you're a prick!!

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Rating: Sir, am I allowed to call an officer a prick?

Officer: Certainly not!!

Rating: Well Sir, am I allowed to think an officer is a prick?

Officer: I suppose you can think whatever you like.

Rating: Oh, good then. Sir, I think you're a prick!!
Officer: You have now stated it rather than just thinking it. Two weeks jankers.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The only player on a pitch I refer to by their name is the captain as "I know his name" (he tells me at our PMB).

That said I did tell one player by their name (all the local refs know him) to "shut the fcuk up", got the biggest laff of the afternoon :redface:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The only player on a pitch I refer to by their name is the captain as "I know his name" (he tells me at our PMB).

That said I did tell one player by their name (all the local refs know him) to "shut the fcuk up", got the biggest laff of the afternoon :redface:

There's no way I'm saying that. One referee in my area was up on a "code of conduct" for saying similar.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I can appreciate others found it funny and you were frustrated with him. But lets have it, if he had said that to you he'd have probably been red carded and faced a sizeable ban for ref abuse.

Didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
that's all very true, but he was the one that apologised for overstepping the mark :shrug:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I can appreciate others found it funny and you were frustrated with him. But lets have it, if he had said that to you he'd have probably been red carded and faced a sizeable ban for ref abuse.

Didds

Which just proves it isn't just what you say, but HOW and WHEN you say it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so a player can say "shut the **** up" to any ref at any time as long as its "the right time" ?

I'm not saying it should be a 100% nailed on RC but I would suggest its a dangerous path to go down - if only because one person's "right time" may not be somebody else's.

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

If he told a ref just to "shut up" he could be facing a dismissal. It is not the swear word that earns the RC.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but its OK for a ref to tell a player to "shut up"? let alone with a sexual swearword involved?

didds