WB forgot his watch!

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I was watching the Amlin Cup 1/4 final yesterday between Brive & Scarlets & saw something that astonished me. WB (who I thought had a great game) was NOT wearing a watch!

Now I know that at that level you have 4th/5th officials to keep time but surely it's sensible to have some way of keeping time for yourself? What if the comms failed for instance? Even both ARs had watches on, but once again they may not have been able to make him aware in time if comms had failed (& let's face it, the comms most of us have used have probably been glitchy at some point).

I haven't noticed if WB never wears a watch or if this is a one-off, but I'll be watching next time!

FKlopper

Post Likes
As far as I have noticed, Barnesy only wears a watch during the 6 Nations (where I believe they are sponsored so he may be forced into wearing it).

Although I'm probably not the most observant person in the world so he probably wears one now and again!

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Thought he made the best of a good game, now, a slight tangent from Oveys question (sorry butt, stealing your thread here!!!!!!! :wales:). Was it me, or, did he look like he just wasn't enjoying his rugby. Also, I notice he is AR1 for Dave Pearson this weekend in the Aviva Prem. Could be me reading too much into this, however, he has now gome from IRB Tier 1 ref list to Tier 2, now AR in domestic rugby. Fall from grace? One off appt for Sat? Only time will tell I suppose

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have no knowledge of WB other than is in the public domain, but I beleive he is trying to maintain his legal qualification while reffing. Is it possible he has had to take a temporary step backwards in order to get in some CPD and/or time in court?

As to the original question, I'd expect any stadium at which he refs to have a highly visible countdown clock showing time remaining. What more does he need?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
As to the original question, I'd expect any stadium at which he refs to have a highly visible countdown clock showing time remaining. What more does he need?

If he ever does Cardiff Blues at the Stade de wendyball he'll not have a decently sized countdown clock.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Elite panel officials at all AP matches consist of a Ref, 2 AR's, a reserve ref, a 5th Official and a timekeeper. The timekeeper uses a sophisticated clock system that is visible from anywhere on the pitch. Ovey, the comms at this level simply cannot fail - there is a techician on hand should there be any slight glitch, but in 4 seasons at Sixways, I've never known a problem that wasn't solved in seconds!

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
the comms at this level simply cannot fail
Ooh, fate tempting...I think you mean that as a "requirement/hope" rather than a statement of fact! Things, esp electronics, can always fail. Hence the not infrequent views of a ref being "re-wired" at the side of the pitch.

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
The Elite panel officials at all AP matches consist of a Ref, 2 AR's, a reserve ref, a 5th Official and a timekeeper. The timekeeper uses a sophisticated clock system that is visible from anywhere on the pitch. Ovey, the comms at this level simply cannot fail - there is a techician on hand should there be any slight glitch, but in 4 seasons at Sixways, I've never known a problem that wasn't solved in seconds!
If a TMO is appointed to the game he will also be running a separate clock as further back up. The TMO will have direct communication via the broadcaster to the touchlines. As further back up the TMO will also have mobile phone contact to the reserve referee. In televised games the referee is not the designated timekeeper - it's not even his decsion on when the game starts ! The timekeeper will advise the referee of 5 or 2 minutes to play and when time has expired.

Stuart hope to see you at Sixways very soon.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
now surely the game starts when he blows his whistle....

Giorgio Barbieri

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I simply think they don't bother time at that level. There's so much to think in an international club contest that having a watch on your wrist may as well be a problem. You are given a competent assistant, as timekeepers certainly are, which have proven to be a precious resourse for any of the collegues officiating at those levels. Enjoy Rugby, youse all mates!