[Law] Well intended advice v correct answer

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
That also my experience
The only way to get a single answer is to ask precisely one person

The only way to get the answer you want is to carefully phrase the question :biggrin:

And/or carefully select the person...

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It would be useful, well at least for me, that after a thread where there has been healthy discussion if a poll could be added to round out and score the opinions.
I realise there is a polls forum, but it has to start as a poll, what would be good is if a poll can be added at any stage when it gets to a point that polling might help to distinguish which isnthe 'preferred' popular decision.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It would be useful, well at least for me, that after a thread where there has been healthy discussion if a poll could be added to round out and score the opinions.
I realise there is a polls forum, but it has to start as a poll, what would be good is if a poll can be added at any stage when it gets to a point that polling might help to distinguish which isnthe 'preferred' popular decision.

nowadays most forums settle this with upvoting and downvoting. I think that's a concept that RR.COM could usefully employ.
On some forums, users gain kudos (via various routes - eg longevity, lots of replies, lots of upvotes) and then in turn the more kudos you have the more weight is given to your upvotes. Again I think this is an idea RR.COM could usefully employ.

who knows, perhaps Robbie will implement something like this in the re-write. But I don't get the impression that Robbie - or the mods - are that interested in seeking ideas for the forum??

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It isn't that Mods aren't interested.

It's that we can't do anything.

So before you start leveling passive aggressive comments around, get a ****ing fact base right.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No denying it..the aggressive retort to a passive aggressive post did make me chuckle. :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It isn't that Mods aren't interested.

It's that we can't do anything.

So before you start leveling passive aggressive comments around, get a ****ing fact base right.

We know nothing ! We can do nothing! We are only mods!

Robbie is like the Wizard of Oz : a mysterious ruler over us hapless munchkins , all seeing, all powerful .. and absent

(Now I am going to spend a happy ten minutes working out who is the tin man, the lion and the scarecrow)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We know nothing ! We can do nothing! We are only mods!

Robbie is like the Wizard of Oz : a mysterious ruler over us hapless munchkins , all seeing, all powerful .. and absent

(Now I am going to spend a happy ten minutes working out who is the tin man, the lion and the scarecrow)

It has been explained to you ad-nauseam that Mods only have the power to moderate posts and users. They have no access to forum workings. I suggest you email Robbie or contact him via twitter if you have an issue you would like to discuss with him.

Snide comments serve no purpose.

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
When this Forum is good it is very informative and useful and even fun!!
When its bad its normally because it becomes dominated by individuals (over the Years there have been many) who labour obscure points to the state of boredom.
There is a real correlation between the usage of the site and the total domination by individuals with excessive number of posts on every subject!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As others have suggested the "correct answer" (or best advice) usually comes out in the first page or certainly by page 2.

For those starting out, don't get too involved in the arguments over punctuation and the use of certain words.

You may have also worked out for yourself that there are a few on here that like to muddy the waters just because they don't like/agree with the advice others have given. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes the little "smilie" :deadhorse: becomes the only answer.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it wasn't funny I apologise.
( I was letting my inner Nigel come out :) )

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe we should have a 5 post limit per poster per thread. Choose your words carefully, have your say, respond a couple of times to the nay sayers, then that's it. If you can't get your point across after 5 posts, 100 posts ain't gonna help.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe we should have a 5 post limit per poster per thread. Choose your words carefully, have your say, respond a couple of times to the nay sayers, then that's it. If you can't get your point across after 5 posts, 100 posts ain't gonna help.

Gee Dickie don't leave the soor open like that!! ...you'll force me to walk through it! :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There is a real correlation between the usage of the site and the total domination by individuals with excessive number of posts on every subject!

I'm averaging 2.7 posts per day for the last 12 years. Yikes! Didn't know I knew so much

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Posts/day would be better thing to control, rather than total posts per thread.
And/or you could control posts/day/thread

In general I think the forum is under moderated and you could definitely try some ideas like that.

In rugby terms if I assessed the mods I would say

Use more preventative calls
Try varying your position more to see what works
I missed your pre match brief ...did you actually give one?
Did you introduce yiurself, let people know who you are?

Those sorts of tools will help you manage the game without having to resort to PK and cards

:)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Nah. Im sure we are all adult enough to filter out the heat from the chaff. Or bollocks. whatever.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So if a new point gets raised late on, a poster might be barred from disagreeing?
(I would simply start a new thread.)