well that was a first

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Match abandoned after 22 mins when the posts snapped and blew over!

Didn't restart, even though there was a spare pitch, league involved so can't say too much ;)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that storm caused a lot of abandoned games - including Quins v Leicester. Never seen anytning like it at the Stoop

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
that storm caused a lot of abandoned games - including Quins v Leicester. Never seen anytning like it at the Stoop
I wasn't there, but apparently the 1st half of the Dragons v Northmpton game on Saturday was cut short by about 7 minutes due to lashing rain and hailstones. :holysheep:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Was it windy?

windy enough for the Met Office to issue severe weather warnings, and for my local radio station to report typhoon type weather coming in on Twitter feeds and they could actually plot the path of the storm from the Tweeters' locations.

luckily we (12 match observers doing a training day at the same match) were all inside the Southampton Universtity pavilion post match when it hit but we saw the soccer boys and hockey girls race for cover off the two 4g pitches.

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why not move pitch?

Did the players object or was it very different to the first pitch?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why not move pitch?

Did the players object or was it very different to the first pitch?

Toby - BFG can't say any more. As he quoted above "league involved so can't say too much" - Comps Committee sub judice currently, so he is gagged.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Toby - BFG can't say any more. As he quoted above "league involved so can't say too much" - Comps Committee sub judice currently, so he is gagged.

Yeah what he said ^^^^

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wasn't there, but apparently the 1st half of the Dragons v Northmpton game on Saturday was cut short by about 7 minutes due to lashing rain and hailstones. :holysheep:

As my daughter would say "They need to man up!"

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Saw that result as I flicked through the scores in the various leagues last night. I thought "that's interesting - odd there wasnt a spare pitch somewhere....I bet there is a story there...." . Closely followed by "how annoying for the ref - he does all the prep, gets to the game and then....."

One of my mates has had two cancelled games already this year one L6 one L8 and only found out when he arrived at the club - one an almost 2 hr drive away....

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Mmmm, sounds like my year, 1x L7 (one sided) and a school game so far this year!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
As my daughter would say "They need to man up!"
Go on then. YOU start headbutting these. :biggrin:

These weren't from the Dragons game, but it goes to show that there are hailstones and hailstones. :sad:

Last edited:

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was at a SW London Club, whose first team had just finished playing when the storm hit. One set of posts was flattened.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
League have made their decision, someone's not going to be very happy! Appeal, got to be worth the £50.00, that'll teach um :wink:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
We were caught in the storm on our way to Paris as we descended towards CDG. The plane was all over the place, people and belongings banging around, the sky outside going dark, bright, dark, and the engines roaring. Then the ultra cool air france pursar calmly walked to the mike and said "Ladies and Gentlemen, please stop shaking the plane".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
.. and the league ruling was ??

A refusal to play meant a forfeit game surely?