Western Force refereeing videos

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
From the press release:

RugbyWA has commissioned a series of short videos highlighting some of rugby’s laws and the importance played by referees in our great game. The Community Rugby Department have worked to come up with some entertaining and fun skits that will appeal to both a rugby and wider audience.

Episodes 1 - 4 of the series are now live on the Emirates Western Force YouTube Channel www.youtube.com/WesternForceTV

Episode 1 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzXbhqQX1To

Episode 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qu75-oiA74

Episode 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShNNo_YCdVU

Episode 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjILale2NSM

Episode 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq9mlpeDJ2A

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
superfluous 'house' to signal a scrum in Episode 3 :nono:
what are they thinking of?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The game, not pedantic refs and assessors :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The game, not pedantic refs and assessors :wink:

hmm - i finished the IRB Laws quiz last night - the video section has the referee there in a Wales v SA game doing the house signal after a KO. So perhaps it's not strictly verboten.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
hmm - i finished the IRB Laws quiz last night - the video section has the referee there in a Wales v SA game doing the house signal after a KO. So perhaps it's not strictly verboten.

As has been pointed out to you already on another thread (not that you take any notice), the house signal is usually used when there is an option, to indicate which option has been chosen. It is not used when a scrum is the only choice.

So after a kickoff there is a choice; use a house symbol if they elect for a scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As has been pointed out to you already on another thread (not that you take any notice), the house signal is usually used when there is an option, to indicate which option has been chosen. It is not used when a scrum is the only choice.

So after a kickoff there is a choice; use a house symbol if they elect for a scrum.

I have taken notice! I haven't made a house signal since. (well, I admit it one snuck out accidentally last week, a habit can be hard to break sometimes)

but having taken notice I was a bit :chin: to see the house signal used on the IRB Laws Quiz video... that's a place where you would expect all the demo videos to be perfect... wouldn't you?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

.....I was a bit :chin: to see the house signal used on the IRB Laws Quiz video...

Nuff said!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's no harm in doing the house signal. I'll do it just to emphasise the point. I do the signals as I'm saying, "knock on red, scrum down, blue ball".

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
AM with AJ - I use it habitually (its in the LOTG after all) -like the backs to know what is happening next also useful for dozy forwards (especially near touch as all wandering off for LO) and useful commmunication habit if you do a lot of non-english speaking stuff (e.g. cornwall)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I tried not to do it last game out and found myself trying so hard not to do the HS that occasionally I realised that's all I was thinking about!!:wow:

I might just let it dissappear "naturally"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I tried not to do it last game out and found myself trying so hard not to do the HS that occasionally I realised that's all I was thinking about!!:wow:

On Sunday I stopped the game becauae the action got too close to an injured player on ground..'peep injury...physio.. OK you have time to get some water lads..'

a minute or so later we were ready to restart.
- 'stopped for an injury, red in possession, scrum red;
- and I instictively started to to a house signal, and then stopped guiltily, then immediately realised this was a moment where a house signal was entirely approprate, and did one anyway.

I must have looked a complete plonker, waving my arms around indecisively :biggrin:

Scienide

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I've been caught with improper binding a few times. Excellent find on those videos!