What are some coaches on????

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, not refereeing related, but was delivering a premier rugby coach class the other day and introducing a "to-be" U10s group to contested scrums.

I planned to start off doing uncontested whilst I worked on binding etc. and only moving on to the contesting bit once I was happy.

So, we come to the first engagement (uncontested), having spent some time on hooker/prop bindings.

"C...T...P...E" go I.

and the two front rows absolutely thump into each other (despite my previous explanation not to) as if their lives depended on it.

"Peep!" go I.
"What was that?" I ask, having made sure everyone was OK from the resulting pile-up on the ground.

"Our coach told us to hit the engagement as hard as possible", they reply.

:wow:

Bloody hell.....
Can we PLEASE have an initiative to get rid of these idiots from our game!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
U10s - I am open-mouthed. As you say coaches like that for those age-groups are not needed in our Game.

1. Love the new slow CTPE - even more control.

2. Close the front rows totally and all they can do is fold in with no real impact on the engage. I have used this tactic with Colts when their testosterone had taken over their brains !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Agree with gillburt... as for folding in the whole point of U10 is to try and get these players actually scrummaging not bending in the middle so I'd hope there was a bit of "when you're with me I want to see controlled engagement" ... folding in eventually if they really cannot differentiate between a controlled engagement and smashing 7 bells. A word with the coach afterwards natch. Frankly I would consider that close to abuse (huge engagements I mean).

I understand of course that it prevents any injuries etc etc ... but all you do then is offset the problem to the next ref and the kids don't actually stop smash engaging. But equally many of the problems I see with youth scrummaging is because nobody took the time to get players engaging correctly at earlier years, which in itself requires good scrummaging body position.

didds

Lenin1924

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
A shocking story. Definitely have a word with the coach as at that age, as others have said, the kids should be introduced to the basics of scrummaging and should not be taught to charge like a herd of buffalo into the opposition front row.