[Law] What constitutes a match?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In the Netherlands, if the second half has started and the referee decides to stop the game for safety issues, then a match has been played, with the score at the time counting. So 40.1 minutes, effectively.

If the reason for stopping the game early is "funny business" by one or more sides rather than safety (weather, whatever), then the game counts as played but initially with a 0-0 result. In such a case the referee has to report on the circumstances leading to the abandonment of the match and the relevant union official (competition organiser) can decide on sanctions if any or whether the game should be replayed, or awarded to one side or the other (30-0 result), or any combination thereof.

so if you are losing by more than 30 points and points difference is important in your league 9p[osition etc) its potentially worthwhile to force an abandoned game?

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
NSW Subbies regulation cover that for their leagues matches stopped can be awarded to one side 0-28 or the score at the time of stoppage if the lead is greater.
Which to me suggests that someone tried it

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
NSW Subbies regulation cover that for their leagues matches stopped can be awarded to one side 0-28 or the score at the time of stoppage if the lead is greater.
Which to me suggests that someone tried it

Did you find NSW Subbies Competition Rules/By-Laws?
If so, could you post a link please? I had tried, unsuccessfully, to find their comp rules.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
so if you are losing by more than 30 points and points difference is important in your league 9p[osition etc) its potentially worthwhile to force an abandoned game?

didds

The ref can only deal with what is in front of him.

At least it is then up for the organisers to sort out the actual fall out.

If they are ever willing to or ever can?

In a youth league game this season, it was not possible to fulfil a fixture due to illnesses that arrived on top of an extensive injury list. With advance warning and subsequent agreement from the opposing side's fixtures organiser the fixture was to be rescheduled. I am hearing that their coach heard and determined he didn't like the idea and argued the fixture organiser had acted beyond her authority.

He subsequently submitted a result as a 45-0 w/o, having refused to allow the rescheduling. Appeal went to the league who instructed the schedule to be fulfilled. Did it happen? No. The request was ignored. As was suggested at the time, league organisers are all volunteers and at this level its probably not worth the hassle to push it.

The team in question got their promotion and the ones to lose out were the lads who never got to play the game. Does this stuff really mean that much to people? It seems so.

So one answer, in one situation, might be:

You have to have two willing participants (where have I heard that before?) and if one is not, it doesn't necessarily mean he gets penalised for it. You perhaps don't even need to turn up!:shrug:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

didds

No - if you forfeit a game, then in most cases you're *also* docked 5 points in the league table, and the club is fined. So even with only 12 men it's worth turning up and losing 110-0 rather than throwing in the towel early.