What do you do?

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So I just watched this video of a match in Poland. Considering there appears to be a full assigned team of 3 I would guess that this is a relatively high level match. The camera footage isn't the best, but I can see a few players throwing big punches. How would you deal with this situation and what would your calls/cards be?

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/11/a-relatively-mild-high-tackle-lit-fuse.html

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The referee seems to deal with it correctly.

He blew straight away for the high tackle, then when it all kicked off he stood back, blew his whistle a couple of times, and then (hopefully) made mental notes.

He separated the teams (then the clip ends) and I assume at that point he called in his AR's and compared notes.

I would be looking for the person who kicked it all off and then players who come running in from a distance to take cheap shots. Also anyone who restarts the fight after it calms down.

So Blue Headguard (the recipient of the high tackle) is the one who kicks it all off.
Green 2 is a dead cert RC, possibly Green 6 as well.
Bit hard to tell who else as the camera zooms in and there is a lot going off out of shot, but the referee seemed well positioned.

Main thing is don't get involved trying to pull players apart, just step back to widen your area of view and make notes. A broad rule of thumb is that if you step back, anyone who comes running past you (in either direction) is up to no good. Get their number as they go past and watch what they do next.

My restart would be PK for high tackle, reversed for the retaliation.
RC for blue headguard and Green 2 from what I saw on the video from one look.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So I just watched this video of a match in Poland. Considering there appears to be a full assigned team of 3 I would guess that this is a relatively high level match. The camera footage isn't the best, but I can see a few players throwing big punches. How would you deal with this situation and what would your calls/cards be?

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/11/a-relatively-mild-high-tackle-lit-fuse.html

I agree it looks a top flight match with To3 and fitness/ physique of players.

Referee did well to step back and was noting key protagonists. But he had multiple scuffles to observe.
He blew the high tackle by 3 green quickly and had his hand in pocket I suspect for YC, then it all kicked off.

Both ARs stepped in-field but should have gone in at least to 15m to get better view of main culprits colour and #s.

Ref blew whistle, stepped back, took different angles of view and separated teams. Well done to To3

What I was was Green 3 high tackle on blue 6, blue 6 reaction punch - YC both but retain original offence in this case against green 3 due to the next actions. Green 2 (with red undershorts so easy to spot) came from distance to react and punch blue 6 and continued aggressive actions with other blue players RC. Blue 13 was also on my radar, but he was protective, pushing only and did not connect with punches. No action.
Green 11 was a complete idiot and typical "wind up" winger so admonishment and warning as to his future behaviour.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
A broad rule of thumb is that if you step back, anyone who comes running past you (in either direction) is up to no good. Get their number as they go past and watch what they do next..

So they could be rushing past you to grab their team mate and pull him away from the fracas?

So IS up to good then?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wot Phil said

Blue 6 (headgear) :norc:

Green 2 (red Lycra) :norc:

Green 6 :noyc:

Original PK to Blue for the High Tackle
Reverse to Green for the retaliation

Restart with a PK to Green

* however, if the referee wanted to reverse again for the Green 2 punch, I could live with that,

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So they could be rushing past you to grab their team mate and pull him away from the fracas?

So IS up to good then?

didds
Nobody is going to believe that excuse. Joining in is silly whatever your motive.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

So IS up to good then?

didds

I did say........

Get their number as they go past and watch what they do next..

Although if someone comes past me on their way to the fracas I am thinking (as OB said) "not your fight, stay out of it".

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
And if it happens when you're on your own your f***ed.
It may be easy to quickly note initial numbers but after that how could you write up what happened.
Virtually impossible for me, can't remember what I did yesterday!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Quick word to the captains saying "glad we've got that out of the system, let's play some rugby." Restart with original penalty for the high tackle. /s

Agreed with Ian and Simon.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Nobody is going to believe that excuse. Joining in is silly whatever your motive.

Agreed, but there is a difference between players 1 yard away getting involved and those coming in from 20 yards.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.. It may be easy to quickly note initial numbers but after that how could you write up what happened.
You took the words out of my mouth.

Thankfully, this has not happened to me ... yet, but even just watching a screen I struggle. There is so much going on - some of it trivial - some of it serious, I struggle to see the wood for the trees. I think I would get my score card out PDQ and aim to get at least 1 from each side, because realistically there is no hope in hell of spotting every infringement.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: What do you do?

And if it happens when you're on your own your f***ed.
It may be easy to quickly note initial numbers but after that how could you write up what happened.

"During the 25th minute, Mr Smith ran into a brawl from [distance] and threw numerous punches."

"During the 25th minute, Mr Jenkins ran into a brawl from [distance] and threw numerous punches."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

I beg to differ. Its not "joining in", its removing your OWN player. joining in is yanking an oppo player out (at best) or hitting one.

And I cannot believe in all the rugby you must have seen OB you have never seen this.

Put another way - RED runs past you and attempts to drag a RED player out. How is that "joining in" a fracas? Are you now going to penalise/card the red joiner? for what exactly?

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I beg to differ. Its not "joining in", its removing your OWN player. joining in is yanking an oppo player out (at best) or hitting one.
I have always advised players not to try that when there is a general brawl. It is very unlikely to have any effect other than to include that person in the brawl. If it happens to be a one-on-one it may be different, but I still caution against it.

And I cannot believe in all the rugby you must have seen OB you have never seen this.
Yes, and I have seen it go wrong. I cannot remember a case when it (a) worked; and (b) was necessary.

Put another way - RED runs past you and attempts to drag a RED player out. How is that "joining in" a fracas? Are you now going to penalise/card the red joiner? for what exactly?
I would be unlikely to penalise everybody in the fracas, but it depends very much on what happens after the initial contact.

I have no sympathy for that approach. It is far too risky. Pulling just one red player out won't of itself stop things. "You don't put a fire out by pouring oil on it" is my view.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The one I don't like is when the Blue player runs in and grasps the Red player ostensibly to break up the fight (usually by pinning his arms) but this then gives his Blue team mate a nice, open target.