What is immediately?

What is immediate?

• 0.1 seconds - players know they are about to hit ground, and should time accordingly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.3 seconds - players need to have reaction time

• 1 second - players need to have some leeway

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • 3 seconds - elite players struggle to create an active game otherwise,

• 10 seconds - anything to get the ball out of a ruck

• 1 Planck time.

• Total voters

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
The Laws require certain actions by players to be done immediately, particularly when a tackle is completed. How long can pass before such an action is no longer immediate?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Rushforth, I fear this is not a sensible use of time. The word "immediate" or "immediately" appears 52 times in the LoTG, and it means different things each time. It's a judgement call in the context of the game and the situation occurring in the game. The tackler in international rugby must move away quicker than the tackler in vets' rugby - but both must act immediately. In law 20.3(h), the referee is required to whistle "immediately" a scrum collapses. Can we take this to set the time limit for Law 20? In law 20.4(e), when a scrum remains static and the ball does not emerge immediately, a further scrum is ordered. So - the ball is fed into a static scrum (I know, I know - but work with me on this!); at that point the scrum starts. If the drive from each side is equal, the scrum will remain static. Using the 20.3 reference point for immediacy, we don't allow time for a hook and channel - that would not be immediate.

The poll, I regret, will prove nothing.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It's the next action by a player.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I voted, not because I think it is 1 second, but because I think 3 seconds is too long!

It is a judgement call in each and every situation. Without the IRB giving it a time limit you'll never get exactly standardised opinions

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The word "immediate" or "immediately" appears 52 times in the LoTG, and it means different things each time.

"Without delay"
appears 11 times as well.

Which is more imperative; "immediately" or "without delay" or is there actually any difference between them?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Contextual judgement. That is it depends upon the situation.

Flawed poll. Sorry.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
as said by others "immediately" and "without delay" are decided by the referee on the day within the context of both the match and the specific play incident.

It is not for the iRB, or any Home Union to be prescriptive about a specific time length.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

"Without delay"
appears 11 times as well.

Which is more imperative; "immediately" or "without delay" or is there actually any difference between them?

"Immediately" is more imperative than "without delay".

I expect a tackler to release & roll "immediately" but expect the hooker to throw the ball into the lineout "without delay".

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
To quote my training officer during the end days of national service, "immediately means PDQ (pretty damm quick) how PDQ depends on how quick I want you to do it"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Immediately is when I say it is.
do you tell them at PMB, and the the 1st/2nd occasion of each separate example? or do you set an example and then use the whistle to enforce you expectation for that match, or do you communicate the timing /acceptability on every occasion?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Pragmatically, I think it means "as soon as you realistically can". If you are seen to hesitate, it is not immediate. If you are tackled, you might have to move a bit to be able to lay the ball back. If you are the tackler, you may delay long enough to make it clear the ball carrier has been held.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
do you tell them at PMB, and the the 1st/2nd occasion of each separate example? or do you set an example and then use the whistle to enforce you expectation for that match, or do you communicate the timing /acceptability on every occasion?

<----------------- Well, my situation is rather different from yours, so it's hard to compare.