[Law] What is the official role of a touch judge during a match?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed but not sure why the teams would need to sign off on it. If you can demonstrate to the ref that you're qualified then surely that would be enough

I've been told that the teams are not always happy having just one AR - something about an unfair advantage, though I've no idea how it could be.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've been told that the teams are not always happy having just one AR - something about an unfair advantage, though I've no idea how it could be.

a bit like having one testicle ... not perfect but better than none :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting. We do periodic (every 2 years, I think) refresher courses that re-certifies us as refs and ARs. Sometimes on-line, sometimes face to face, covering new laws and interpretations, safety issues, etc. Includes a multiple choice exam with a pass mark.
Excellent. I think our assessment procedures and training sessions are intended to have a similar effect.

I hear the disdain in "piece of plastic"
Then you are reading too much into what was intended as a neutral description. What should I call it? It was not a licence, or a certificate, or an identity card. It simply said I had been assessed as meeting the relevant standard.
but a formal process to ensure refs are up to date on concussion management and the like is hardly a waste of time.
Agreed.
Possibly more effective than a society meeting where Fred runs a powerpoint on the other side of a smoky bar while I down my 3rd pint.
Disdain?!

Depends on the commitment to making it work
Yes. That applies to any system.

BigClothesSir

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It's a glitch in the appointments software. We use the same software in Staffs and our AR's are marked up as TJ's on the system. Oh, and as referee coordinator for this event, I can confirm that I expect to get some AR's, not TJ's!

In that case, Mr Coordinator I shall have my AR's head on instead of my TJ's head.

See you Sunday.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It could be agreed that if both sides agree they could retrospectively get me appointed to the game or to run touch as an AR. A simple form signed by both sides given to the me to pass on and we are all covered.

[/COLOR]

Agreed but not sure why the teams would need to sign off on it. If you can demonstrate to the ref that you're qualified then surely that would be enough

What if one side objected after the game. To you not being "from the union". The away side may suspect you are a supporter of the home side etc. Belt and braces!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What if one side objected after the game. To you not being "from the union". The away side may suspect you are a supporter of the home side etc. Belt and braces!

That wouldn't happen here at the community level. They'd be relieved at not having to provide a TJ cos a bloke with his own flag turned up.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That wouldn't happen here at the community level. They'd be relieved at not having to provide a TJ cos a bloke with his own flag turned up.
Couldn't believe what happened to me on Sunday. Trainer walks up to me with a fella who was about 18 years old. Said the fella wanted to run touch for my game and wondered if I could give him some tips because it's his first time. The guy actually seemed keen too. Usually I'm lucky to have 2 TJs ready by the time I want to kick off, never mind having someone offer to run touch and ask what I want from him!

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I find that at U19 level and lower, it is much more trust worthy to take the players as touch judge than a parent or coach, the players when pressurised reveal the truth, but some coaches will be blatantly dishonest. Parents do not have a clue and you could do without a TJ.
If an AR is not appointed but a society referee is present and is willing to run line he is considered an AR.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Couldn't believe what happened to me on Sunday. Trainer walks up to me with a fella who was about 18 years old. Said the fella wanted to run touch for my game and wondered if I could give him some tips because it's his first time. The guy actually seemed keen too. Usually I'm lucky to have 2 TJs ready by the time I want to kick off, never mind having someone offer to run touch and ask what I want from him!

Did you show him the twirly figure-8 touch-in-goal signal?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Her they don't want to do it either. However, the comment well if you don't provide a TJ then I'll ask the other side to do so, usually produces comment about potential bias. My answer is obvious.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did you show him the twirly figure-8 touch-in-goal signal?
That move takes 5 years to learn.

Too risky for a first day, could result in serious eye damage.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Her they don't want to do it either. However, the comment well if you don't provide a TJ then I'll ask the other side to do so, usually produces comment about potential bias. My answer is obvious.

I don't recognise this unwillingness to provide a TJ - I've never had a team be reluctant, or object or complain. They take the flag and get on with it - they know that the game runs better with TJs. It's like putting the flags out or the post protectors on. It's not fun, but neither is it arduous, and it's necessary .... they just do it

Many times I have had two TJs from same team. If the away team turns up with no subs, no coach, no supporters, then I'll ask if the home team if they mind running both sides.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't recognise this unwillingness to provide a TJ - I've never had a team be reluctant, or object or complain.

I almost always get a bit of light-hearted grumbling when I ask someone to be a TJ!