What To Do Next.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
For anyone interested, my heart rate monitor suggests that I expend about 600 KiloCalories per half when reffing at L.8. I've never considered a pedometer any good, as they count footfalls and the stride length changes dramatically depending on what's happening on the park. I believe that there are GPS versions that can give an accurate measurement of distance travelled, but these are too pricey for my taste.

Really, that seems very high. I'm 210lbs, 31, restinf HR of 65 and have a VO2max of 54 (level 12 beep test result)

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Suggests I burn 126 Kcal per half. You must be a beast of a man:)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
You must be a beast of a man:)
You're obviously not wrong there!

I have no idea how the calculation is done, and am NOT going to get into a debate with a medical professional about the most likely results:Looser: . However, 126 Kcal is about what my gym's equipment suggests I utilise in 10 minutes of steady rowing (1000m). These are obviously broad estimates, but if they are really so very far out, they'd seem to be useless.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
in terms of distance run per match, my regional manager advises when he runs ELRA courses (*) that one of the region's fitter referees (i won't name him but i'm sure he'll recognise the results and will PM me accordingly :)) covers about 3.5km per match.

* - at least he mentioned it in the one he ran at my club, it might not be something he spreads widely.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
You're obviously not wrong there!

I have no idea how the calculation is done, and am NOT going to get into a debate with a medical professional about the most likely results:Looser: . However, 126 Kcal is about what my gym's equipment suggests I utilise in 10 minutes of steady rowing (1000m). These are obviously broad estimates, but if they are really so very far out, they'd seem to be useless.

Yeah, there's something odd about that calculation:chin: Go with your numbers, at least they allow more food to be consumed:)

Bingo, I've done the basal metabolic rate calculation instead of activity calculation, D'Oh!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i had one of them but the back wheel fell off

:D :wink: :p

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Aren't British and American "calories" different?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Aren't British and American "calories" different?

Yes, many Americans consume food in the belief that calories don't exist:)

In all seriousness the only problem people have is with the difference between calorie, Calorie and Kcal. I was always taught that calorie is the specific heat capacity related to 1g of water (1ml as water has a density of 1) and Calorie and Kcal are related to 1Kg of water (1L). I think people use them interchangeably nowadays,:nono: :nono: