What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The other day, unloading a dishwasher, I dropped a plate .
With my lightening fast reactions I stuck out a foot, getting my foot under the falling plate and stopping it so that it didn't break.

I would not have had time to bend down and catch it with hands

Of course I ran a risk, a fraction of a second later rather than catching the plate my foot would have kicked it across the kitchen..

With a moving ball on a rugby pitch sometimes a player might do something similar

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
With my lightening fast reactions I stuck out a foot, getting my foot under the falling plate and stopping it so that it didn't break.

Of course I ran a risk, a fraction of a second later rather than catching the plate my foot would have kicked it across the kitchen..

With a moving ball on a rugby pitch sometimes a player might do something similar
Or, if you're Dave Beasant with a bootle of salad cream, you could break your toe....

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Heh, I find myself instinctively doing this all the time when I drop something, usually my cell phone, lol.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In particular I was thinking of the "reverse" scenario of defenders not being allowed to kick the ball out of an attackers hands in the act of scoring etc (whichever law that is) etc etc (yes I KNOW its not a direct analogy!)

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In particular I was thinking of the "reverse" scenario of defenders not being allowed to kick the ball out of an attackers hands in the act of scoring etc (whichever law that is) etc etc (yes I KNOW its not a direct analogy!)
True, that I definitely would penalize as dangerous. But I think potentially less dangerous (depending on the exact scenario) for an attacking player to grubber a ball on the ground when a defender is on the ground somewhat close to it.