Wheeling . .

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Re. Sunday's Barnes v Diamond 'wheeling' comment, ie. ' Maybe if he turned up on time and looked as if he was fit he might be able to referee a little bit better in future'. . . . Barnes having penalised Sale in the 78th min. ( Today's DT)

What does a ref actually have to see to award a PK? Is a prop permitted to break away from his opponents binding to prevent the wheel?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Ref must see an offence to award a penalty.

A player must not deliberately break their binding until the scrum is over.

As for not turning up on time, generally Premiership referees turn up 3 hours before kick off (at least). :shrug:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

As for not turning up on time, generally Premiership referees turn up 3 hours before kick off (at least). :shrug:

But isn't that the reason why the wheeling side would appear to be pulling, ie trying to hang on to prevent his oppo from stopping the wheel by backing away?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Diamond said he was "10 minutes late into the changing rooms, maybe it was the traffic"????? whatever that means.

Who's changing rooms?

10 minutes........not exactly a lifetime.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes

Usually 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2 but in 4 seasons as 4th at Warriors, no ref has ever arrived before me, and I get there 2 1/2 hours prior on average

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Robert Burns: Ref must see an offence to award a penalty. A player must not deliberately break their binding until the scrum is over.

But isn't that the reason why the wheeling side would appear to be pulling, ie trying to hang on to prevent his oppo from stopping the wheel by backing away? Anyone?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Huh!

You can't stop a wheel by backing away?
You would just make it wheel faster.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
??? . . . but the non-pivoting side prop needs to stay bound to effect the wheel. How does the ref determine if the wheeling side prop is pulling ie., attempting to hold the bind, or if his oppo. is attempting to break it to back away and frustrate the wheel?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To be honest I don't look at the props.

I am not bothered about a legal wheel (talking adults) only a whip wheel.

A whip wheel (to try and win a turnover) is usually characterised by the nearside flanker pulling the scrum sideways (as opposed to driving forwards) and all the back row running sideways (literally).

I agree that a prop is probably pulling on (and that is what you penalise for), but there are far more obvious signs to look for.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

A whip wheel (to try and win a turnover) is usually characterised by the nearside flanker pulling the scrum sideways (as opposed to driving forwards) and all the back row running sideways (literally).

I agree that a prop is probably pulling on (and that is what you penalise for), but there are far more obvious signs to look for.

Not an exact science then, Phil? . . . but I get your drift. Thanks.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
??? . . . but the non-pivoting side prop needs to stay bound to effect the wheel. How does the ref determine if the wheeling side prop is pulling ie., attempting to hold the bind, or if his oppo. is attempting to break it to back away and frustrate the wheel?
A scrum has a built-in tendency to wheel clockwise (as seen form above). If a team capitalises on this by having the tighthead stationary and the other two pushing forward, I don't see how pulling by their opponents can stop the wheel.

If the tighthead goes backwards, that is when you might suspect he is pulling.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Usually 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2 but in 4 seasons as 4th at Warriors, no ref has ever arrived before me, and I get there 2 1/2 hours prior on average

Are you doing 4th or 5th for the HC this weekend with Andy?

Interesting though is that pulling by a flanker is not a penalty offence, only pulling by a prop is. Although I'm sure we can all hit them with destabilising.

I had it a number of years ago, Chipstead v Croyden in the Semi of the cup. On Chipstead scrum, no movement steady as a rock, on Croydon's scrum, as soon as the ball went in the back row would step sideways causing one prop to drive forward and the other as a pivot who would move backwards slowly. Due to this they were effectively pulling the prop, who was maintaining a driving and pushing position at all times.

Croydon complained but I had no issue with it as it wasn't the front row pulling it around, and it certainly wasn't a whip wheel as Chipstead performed it so well it was almost art.

Croydon admitted to me in the bar afterwards that they were missing over half of their normal forwards who had gone and booked a ski-ing trip and had got snowed in so couldn't get back.

I always enjoyed refereeing a Croydon, always a very polite and friendly bunch to the refs and assessors, even when they didn't agree with us. :D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Re. Sunday's Barnes v Diamond 'wheeling' comment, ie. ' Maybe if he turned up on time and looked as if he was fit he might be able to referee a little bit better in future'. . . . Barnes having penalised Sale in the 78th min. ( Today's DT)

1300 RUGBY UNION: The Rugby Football Union announce that Sale Sharks executive director of sport Steve Diamond has been charged with two counts of verbally abusing match officials.

...and he's already on probation :=

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
1300 RUGBY UNION: The Rugby Football Union announce that Sale Sharks executive director of sport Steve Diamond has been charged with two counts of verbally abusing match officials.

...and he's already on probation :=

. . . . the rascal.