When can the throw be taken?

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Refereeing a 7's tournament and had an irate coach get rather excited at me at one stage, and I have been questioning my decision since, help.....

Blues attacking when ball goes into touch, ball was touched by spectator so no quick throw. As soon as 2 players from each team arrive he tells his player to throw it in, to which I say 'you can't go quick it was touched'.

Now to me, the line out was formed, however, it wasn't set, i.e. the defending team had no one in the channel, the 'line out' area was still full of other players retreating etc. we couldn't have had a decent line out due to the mess.

Anyway, long story short, I'm content I was able to manage the situation but was I technically correct as the line out was technically formed.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just something to be managed, IMO. Law 19.8 Forming the Lineout needs to be complied with, and you need time to ensure that it is. Players must be allowed "to take up a position" (19.8(d)); receivers (if any) 2m back (19.8(i)); the non-throwing side must have a player 2m back in the tramline (19.8(j)); two single straight lines (19.8(k)); 1m gap (19.8(l)). All that takes time, so you are in your rights to control when the throw-in may be taken. Tactical advantage, once a QTI is not possible, should not be allowed before the opposition are ready in a reasonable time; it is meant to be an equitable way of re-starting the game. Of course 'failure to form a lineout' (19.8(G)) also applies if the opposition take too long.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taff we have had lots of discussion on this, - is there such a thing as a quickly taken one out. Not a quick throw in, but a quickly taken line out ..

There is no clear answer

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Taff we have had lots of discussion on this, - is there such a thing as a quickly taken one out. Not a quick throw in, but a quickly taken line out ..

There is no clear answer

You can take a line-out quickly PROVIDING certain criteria are met.
1. At least 2 players from each team are at the line-of-touch with a 1m gap and parallel lines (so the throwing in team can't claim the line-out was formed if the 2 opposition players are still walking to the line-of-touch).
2. Non-throwing team must have a player in opposition to the thrower at 2 & 2
3. Other team mates of the throwing team must be retreating to the applicable offside line and simply can't be standing within the 10m watching proceedings (Interestingly, the law does not mention the non-throwing team's non-participating players with regard to offside)

By the time these things are complied with, it will be a "quickish" lineout but not one that is fully dictated, time wise, by the throwing team.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
chbg sums it up nicely.

Once it is a set line-out happy days.

Manage matters accordingly.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Stand in a position to disrupt the trow till your happy with the line. Move to a position to observe the trow and crack on

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Stand in a position to disrupt the trow till your happy with the line. Move to a position to observe the trow and crack on

You may get away with that at L9 and below as long as you make eye contact with thrower and keep eyes on, but higher up you could well get a ball on the back of your head or into your body :biggrin:

Verbal rather than physical management is my preference.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but at the same time ... one presumably wouldn't allow the no throwing side to dictate timings by being economicval with the time taken for their 5m channel player to take up position, thus delaying the throw in?

didds