[Tackle] When is a head butt not a head butt?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would say the action of a no arms charge that resulted in head contact is definitely in the YC zone! I would classify that one as a YC from the shoulder charge with significant contact with the head.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me this was an error
I think it was between a YC and RC
I think the TMO might have had the same view
But AG slightly steamrollered the conversation by coming in strongly with PK only right at the beginning, and the TMO went with it slightly too easily

Learning points
AG .. be more open in your first summing up to make a correction easier
TMO .. don't roll over , this was an ideal opportunity to say .. would you like to see it from a different angle ? (and then show the same angle !)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
TMO .. don't roll over , this was an ideal opportunity to say .. would you like to see it from a different angle ? (and then show the same angle !)

The new directive (certainly at Premiership Level) is that the "hidden meaning" references are a thing of the past and TMO's/Referees are encouraged to talk openly and plainly. In addition the referee is the sole arbiter of the decision. The TMO is like an AR and helps the referee but doesn't make the decision for him.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
To answer the titular question: when it's clash of heads!

But if it's as a result of other foul play it has to be considered reckless at best.

FWIW I thought this incident was on the yellow-red boundary (though as mentioned in the other thread, I didn't expect a red to be given.) Definitely worse than Liam Williams's yellow the week before.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The new directive (certainly at Premiership Level) is that the "hidden meaning" references are a thing of the past and TMO's/Referees are encouraged to talk openly and plainly.
Brilliant. Long overdue. :clap:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The new directive (certainly at Premiership Level) is that the "hidden meaning" references are a thing of the past and TMO's/Referees are encouraged to talk openly and plainly.

Like Steve Walsh used to?

:biggrin: