Where are you this weekend 20/21?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Never thought I'd get here.

This weekend I have a "pre-season" friendly under the the new law variations.

Thornensians v Barnsley

Looking forward to it despite it being my club, no shower?, no beer.

My lad has been refereeing in the Allianz Women's Premiership and he's noticed the difference in lack of rest (scrums). I'd imagine the fat lads will be blowing out of their arses after 10 minutes.

Personally I'd have made it 30 or 35 minutes each way but there you go.

I've been "fortunate" this season insofar as my recurring back injury came back about March so in essence I've not missed a thing whilst I recover. I've shed 8kg (5kg to go) during lockdown so should look a bit sleeker in the Medium shirt.

I dropped in on the RFU webinar last week to watch the clips and the discussion. I am also going down to the club (see above) to give them an idea? of how it works. Blind leading the blind springs to mind.

Tier 3 and the health of the nation not withstanding this should be a precursor to "friendly" local leagues played under the new laws in the New Year.

I hope I like it. I suspect some won't but it keeps people involved and perhaps forwards can take the opportunity to learn to pass and catch! :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I should be doing similar Darlington vs Darlington Mowden Park Elizabethans (my lot), a 'friendly' warm up, somewhere around L8 under normal circumstances.

I've been helping the coaching sessions with my lot, but that's mostly around new break down interpretations, Law amendments look fine in practice, let's see what actually happens!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My lad has been refereeing in the Allianz Women's Premiership and he's noticed the difference in lack of rest (scrums). I'd imagine the fat lads will be blowing out of their arses after 10 minutes.

Personally I'd have made it 30 or 35 minutes each way but there you go.

How will you manage the unlimited water breaks? Will you make your own assessment on need or wait for captatin/s to request? Will you allow a water break if there is a try imminent (eg 5 metre free kick)?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Last week was the end of the first half of the season. Now on a mid summer break until the end of January.

I had to give my first PT in many a long while - grubber in to in-goal. Defender and attacker both chasing the ball. The defender is normally a League player. Anyone like to guess what happened next?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm guessing he did a Sonny Bill and knocked ball dead. Yellow card too?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How will you manage the unlimited water breaks? Will you make your own assessment on need or wait for captatin/s to request? Will you allow a water break if there is a try imminent (eg 5 metre free kick)?

I've not thought about it. Water breaks aren't usually an issue in the middle of December unless it comes in a hot water bottle.

In the "Summer" months when we've had them I usually break at half way (ie 20 mins) when we're halfway up the pitch.

I'll think of something before Saturday.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yup.

Much bemusement from player and half his team. Captain got it and one of the ARs. Second AR was confused.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Assume you'll be wearing your leggings LLP to keep warm:smile:
Seriously, with the expected weather, any type of outdoor activity is not going to be pleasant if you can't get a shower after the game.
I know from experience that sometimes I've had to get into the shower for 15 minutes with all my gear on to warm up before I could unfasten my boots!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know from experience that sometimes I've had to get into the shower for 15 minutes with all my gear on to warm up before I could unfasten my boots!

Obviously not pushing yourself hard enough to get to the breakdown early!! ?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We in Yorkshire have had indoor plumbing for at least 30 years. I have checked and because the referee's room is mine alone and I don't have to "mingle" then I can get a wash.

I don't have any leggings because I am from the North and such things are banned from Junction 30 on the M1.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My post match showering facilities will be a can of Lynx from the boot of the car!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
We in Yorkshire have had indoor plumbing for at least 30 years. I have checked and because the referee's room is mine alone and I don't have to "mingle" then I can get a wash.

Taking into account who else might have been using the shower in the previous 24/48 hrs? I understand (and stand to be corrected) that there is a concern with life of the virus in warm (obviously not in God's country) humid conditions.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't have any leggings because I am from the North and such things are banned from Junction 30 on the M1.

Spoke to a mate in Leeds. Apparently Doncaster is considered as north London by real Yorkies :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Voodoo.
Java.

Do you drink Director's Bitter and drive a Lexus? :)

Africa is the one true Lynx (if people keep buying me gift sets for Xmas I'll keep using them on match day!)

Director's, certainly do, Lexus, nah, cheap and solid is my motto - my car is for moving me, kids, and the dog too and from rugby pitches and dog walking destinations, no point spending money on it!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Africa is the one true Lynx (if people keep buying me gift sets for Xmas I'll keep using them on match day!)

Director's, certainly do, Lexus, nah, cheap and solid is my motto - my car is for moving me, kids, and the dog too and from rugby pitches and dog walking destinations, no point spending money on it!

Agree with all that.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Having just received my first vaccination, I have decided to stay at home. Again.
(There is no local rugby anyway ...).

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Absolutely nothing happening up here in non-pro SRU land. We're just kind of twiddling our thumbs, watching the world play rugby. Are they're any countries (other than Scotland) that are still not playing any lower level rugby?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nothing happening here in IRFUland apart from restricted training for 18s down!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I hate Mercedes. People who drive them are saaaaaad! :)