Where are you this weekend? 2013-14

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Either your match is being played on a illegally sized pitch or your Society is being over protective of AR's due to the injuries in France........
:hap:

BSE are holding trials on Friday myself and one other are AR'ing to gain experience as this will be (touch wood) baring injury and my disease my first full year refereeing.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No 15s game yet but potentially have a part to play in a 10 a tournament on Sunday instead, work dependent

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sa Coma, Mallorca for 2 weeks then back to:

L9 Colts match
L8 League match
L8 Exchange (E Mids)
L7 Colts match
L8 League match

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This weekend I'm at a wedding! Just as the friendlies start to get interesting as well!

However tomorrow I have a "probables vs possibles" type match up as an intra club trial to referee

Mike V

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Flew to Finland on Saturday for a Finnish Championship game, Helsinki RC v Tampere RC

Mike V

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
This weekend coming I have a game in Sweden, 1st Division, Lugi Lions v Spartacus on the Saturday, then a 1st division game in Denmark, CSR v Hamlet on the Sunday. Wife isn't too happy about it though.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
tonight L8 trial match
31/8 L7 trial match
7/9 L7 League***
14/9 L6 Exchange to London
21/9 L8 Leauge
28/9 L6 League

*** could be interesting, first time these two sides have met since this :chin: http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Jailed-...tory-15522936-detail/story.html#axzz2cW4z5n96

Nice start - looks like a nice eye gouge as well in that photo.

My club had an issue like this our 7 was kicked in the back of the head (it was like watching a PK beibg taken). When we met them again later that year we had a To3 from the panel (we were either 7/8 at the time) which a wise appointment.

What London clubs you got?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Should you really be doing that game? The first time two teams have met since a player was jailed, and two received substantial bans.

Meaning you no disrespect at all, but your profile says you are level 7, and I wouldn't grade that game at 7, even if they are both level 7 clubs. If I was in charge of your society I would be trying to get someone very senior to do that fixture. Worst case scenario and real problems occur, the society will have to explain their appointment.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Should you really be doing that game? The first time two teams have met since a player was jailed, and two received substantial bans.

Meaning you no disrespect at all, but your profile says you are level 7, and I wouldn't grade that game at 7, even if they are both level 7 clubs. If I was in charge of your society I would be trying to get someone very senior to do that fixture. Worst case scenario and real problems occur, the society will have to explain their appointment.

I know what the potentiasl issues are with this fixture and if i didn't think i was up to it i wouldn't have taken it, as it happens I was asked if i wanted it, two sides i've reffed before, home side were L6 last year (reffed them twice last season), but got relegated, away team been L7 for a number of seasons and i've reffed them numerous times. I'm hoping to be formally L6 by Xmas. From a POV of a senior ref in the society, i guess i must be starting to fall in that bracket :wink:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why shouldn't he do that match?
Is it going to make a difference if Mr Barnes was on the pitch?
If they are going to be stupid they are just going to be stupid.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think my view is that an appointment like that warrents a To3.

I'm sure BFG has the skills and confidence to ref what's in front of him - but I'm also sure he'd welcome 2 extra pairs of eyes.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I kind of concur.

I was *ahem* lucky enough when in Hampshire to get that particular kind of poisoned chalice. Two clubs who definitely didn't get on, police activity following their last encounter, which had I think been a couple of years ago.

I got sent down not because of my superb technical refereeing (which I didn't, and still don't, have) but because I could be relied upon to apply zero tolerance to anything and keep tight tight control. I think I was maybe one grade higher than would ordinarily have been assigned - this was back in the old C3, C2 days.

Game went off without a hitch, barring a penalty for a very late tackle. Firm expectations set with captains before the game. "You guys want to play rugby, you can do all that day long, Anyone who doesn't will walk"

If BFG has the management control and presence, he'll be fine.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
conversely they're likely to be on their best behaviour , a discrete 'leak' that RFU observers are likely to be in attendance [ get someone in a tracksuit to video ! ] should guarantee it. Last season I got a club where x5 RC & x3YC had been issued the week before, my match was a breeze with no flare up's or Cards. I suspect their lessons will have been learned, after all prison is very sobering for most.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Why shouldn't he do that match?
Is it going to make a difference if Mr Barnes was on the pitch?
If they are going to be stupid they are just going to be stupid.

If you believe it wouldn't make a difference whether Wayne Barnes or BFG did it then why do we all have gradings?

Can I do one of the Twickemham double headers if WB would let me?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
I know what the potentiasl issues are with this fixture and if i didn't think i was up to it i wouldn't have taken it, as it happens I was asked if i wanted it, two sides i've reffed before, home side were L6 last year (reffed them twice last season), but got relegated, away team been L7 for a number of seasons and i've reffed them numerous times. I'm hoping to be formally L6 by Xmas. From a POV of a senior ref in the society, i guess i must be starting to fall in that bracket :wink:

Good luck with it. Your confidence about managing it doesn't however change the simple situation that you are a level 7 referee (regardless of where you think you'll be at Xmas, or how many level 6 games you have done) and that I don't think this is a level 7 fixture, or an appropriate level 6 for a 7 to take on.

If you weren't involved at all, and this was in a completely different county, and someone on here simply described the fixture and the history and said 'who should we appoint?' What would you choose?

Options;
1) Ask RFU / group for a TO3
2) Appoint society TO3
3) Get an in county level 6 with club TJs
4) Get an in county <5 ref with club TJs
5) Get an in county level 7 to do it

Is your answer honestly 5? You can dislike my posts all you like but is that really your answer?

Now let's imagine you are at the RFU hearing into the huge fight which broke up between 30 players, 10 subs/coaches and about 50 spectators (many of whom were friends/family of incarcerated ex player and had been drinking all day) that required the police to break up and let to both clubs being finned / banned and several arrests. Are you still happy with your decision above?

If WB did the game a fight could still break out. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't anticipate issues, grade games and appoint the best person you can.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Lugi Lions v Spartacus on the Saturday.

I'm Spartacus, and so is my wife..........ex wife!

L8 trials this weekend, my first game of the season due to work. Can't wait!

I know BFG and have no doubt he can handle this game, I would bet my weeks wages he deals with it.
Anyway, he is the size of a teams three :biggrin:

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
BFG - shout if you need a TMO!! ;-)