Where are you this weekend? 2013-14

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good luck with it. Your confidence about managing it doesn't however change the simple situation that you are a level 7 referee (regardless of where you think you'll be at Xmas, or how many level 6 games you have done) and that I don't think this is a level 7 fixture, or an appropriate level 6 for a 7 to take on.

If you weren't involved at all, and this was in a completely different county, and someone on here simply described the fixture and the history and said 'who should we appoint?' What would you choose?

Options;
1) Ask RFU / group for a TO3
2) Appoint society TO3
3) Get an in county level 6 with club TJs
4) Get an in county <5 ref with club TJs
5) Get an in county level 7 to do it

Is your answer honestly 5? You can dislike my posts all you like but is that really your answer?

Now let's imagine you are at the RFU hearing into the huge fight which broke up between 30 players, 10 subs/coaches and about 50 spectators (many of whom were friends/family of incarcerated ex player and had been drinking all day) that required the police to break up and let to both clubs being finned / banned and several arrests. Are you still happy with your decision above?

If WB did the game a fight could still break out. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't anticipate issues, grade games and appoint the best person you can.

Thanks for your thoughts and of course i understand your concerns, but as i have already said, i know what's potetially on this game and IF i had any thoughts that i couldn't handle it, i would be having a chat with the appointments teams and raising those concerns.

As i have already said, they asked me to do it. I would like to think i have the respect of both coaches and they'll be telling their players that they're there to play rugby and not to settle any scores (one of the players involved is now in Aus anyway), and not to be under any illusions that if they do start getting a bit fiesty this ref won't stand for any sh*t and your season could be cut short before it's even got going!!!

I know the appts guys were hoping to put a TO3 on this game, but i guess like most counties, most weeks we have more games than we have refs so it's more important to have 2 games covered by refs than it is to give a guy 2 AR's on the chance that he could have his hands full :shrug: No AR's have been appointed yet, but that's not to say that if someone is late getting thier availibity in they won't be given that gig.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
As i have already said, they asked me to do it. I would like to think i have the respect of both coaches and they'll be telling their players that they're there to play rugby and not to settle any scores (one of the players involved is now in Aus anyway), and not to be under any illusions that if they do start getting a bit fiesty this ref won't stand for any sh*t and your season could be cut short before it's even got going!!!

Didn't realise there was still the transportation option for our convicts!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
no it's the punchee that is overseas not the puncher :wink: who is back playing and i have to say is a bit of a unit! :wow:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
big weekend ahead

Friday night: ladies champions of NL playing probables vs possibles for Teams 1 & 2 squads this season
Saturday: Dutch club Delft (2nd division) vs Royal Signals (british,not dutch army :D)
Sunday: my club (3rd division) vs my previous club (2nd-3rd yoyo)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil E; said:
L8 trials this weekend, my first game of the season due to work. Can't wait!

Cancelled, nothing else available :sad:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Doing a local friendly/scrimmage. Refereeing a bit, AR'ing a bit, and observing a bit. Mostly just trying not to screw up my ankle further in anticipation for next weekend (college club's 50th anniversary weekend).

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Had my Wednesday fixture (tonight) cancelled yesterday, and my Thursday night fixture cancelled this morning

Leaves me with a L6 friendly for Saturday PM, hopefully we'll get this one on the road! Took on midweek games to blow a few more cobwebs away before Saturday but now I shall just have to sharpen up a bit on the fly!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Level 8 friendly at 1330 Saturday.
Level 6 cup game as AR at 1530 Saturday (same club).

Mike V

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Danish National womens 7's series in the morning then a Mens 1st Div in the afternoon

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Level 7 Upper Eden v 6 Carlisle cumbria cup saturday
Level 7 Hawcoat Park v 6 Kendal Friendly Sunday,
That should blow the cobwebs away!!

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Level 10 friendly on Saturday. First appointment I've had reffing a team in the RFU league structure rather than a merit table so quite looking forward to it.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Sunday (as is normal in NL, most sport played on the "day of rest") - tournament in Venlo (German border) which will see the unofficial North Sea Cup for ladies - featuring the ladies champions of NL, Belgium and Germany.

Should be fun!!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
how long was the punchers rfu ban?

26 weeks i think, but i think there were a few issues with the ban as he wasn't able to attend the meeting (otherwise engaged!).

Spoke to one of the coaches about this match last night and as far as he's concered it's water under the bridge and they are targetign it as a winning start to the season and nothing more. They already discussed it with the players and they understand the situation.

He's said all the right things, let's see if the home club have the same view?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Saturday observing a L6 warmup match being done by a L7 referee as a tester.

Sunday down to Avonmouth for the SWG pre-season. where one of the agenda items is some Panel Ref chappie telling us all about what really happens in the front rows. :biggrin:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
L6 - Luton v Huntingdon.

It's a Cup game and my 1st competitive fixture with the new society; who have also appointed ARs and a 'watcher' - their term for assessor/coach I presume.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
L6 - Luton v Huntingdon.

It's a Cup game and my 1st competitive fixture with the new society; who have also appointed ARs and a 'watcher' - their term for assessor/coach I presume.
Good luck with the new crowd, Beckett50. Do you need to update your "Berkshire & London" profile?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Saturday observing a L6 warmup match being done by a L7 referee as a tester.

Sunday down to Avonmouth for the SWG pre-season. where one of the agenda items is some Panel Ref chappie telling us all about what really happens in the front rows. :biggrin:

I Have it on good authority that sometimes "$h!t happens" in the front row :wink:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
on tour once (Prague 2004 i believe), shit did indeed happen in the front row.

(i wasn't playing, before anyone thinks this is a confession!)

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sidcup II v Army Devlopment L8

No idea what this will be like - I have Sidcup 1s in a few weeks as well in the league.