Where are you this weekend? 2015/2016.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You are v lucky. With only 3 L6 teams in county, one a weekend to an exchange ref and I think about 12 L6 refs we are lucky to get one L6 a month to 6 weeks. so a good month would be 1 x6 1x7 and 2x 8. A poor month would be 0 x 6, 2 X 7, and a couple of 8s or even an 8 and a 9.... Fixture sec does his best and is v fair but.... Sigh!
Feel your pain, as had similar in previous societies. And the biggest frustration was doing a L6 exchange on the back of a lower level match the previous two weeks dde33 Lucky in East Midlands though :)

This Saturday is Ilkeston v Bugbroke

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
This week, a bottom of the table clash in Surrey Combination 3 or something (I am struggling to find this fixture listed anywhere). Advantage being it's about three miles from my house, so can be home for Celebrity Pointless.

My (personally) worst game for a while. Just felt I missed a load of things, topped off by being right up with a counter-attack, felt I was following the right line, only for the centre to produce a world-class, back-handed off-load whilst going to ground, that would have gone right into the supporting players hands, if I hadn't been in the way (to be fair, I was in under the posts if I'd caught it). Was most surprised then to have the home captain say I was the best ref they'd had this season. I worry about the standard of referee they've been getting then!

This weekend, I will be joining the 14500 international referees who appear to populate the Stoop on match-days. Then running the line in a national women's cup side for my wife's side. My whistle stays firmly in my kit bag this weekend.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My (personally) worst game for a while. Just felt I missed a load of things, topped off by being right up with a counter-attack, felt I was following the right line, only for the centre to produce a world-class, back-handed off-load whilst going to ground, that would have gone right into the supporting players hands, if I hadn't been in the way (to be fair, I was in under the posts if I'd caught it). Was most surprised then to have the home captain say I was the best ref they'd had this season. I worry about the standard of referee they've been getting then!

This weekend, I will be joining the 14500 international referees who appear to populate the Stoop on match-days. Then running the line in a national women's cup side for my wife's side. My whistle stays firmly in my kit bag this weekend.

Missing loads of things = Letting the game flow

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Weather permitting.

Yorkshire 2 - Level 8

Old Rishworthians v Keighley.

8th v 2nd - both teams have loads of games in hand over their rivals due to recent floods. Rish are still playing at Old Crossleyans as their pitches next to the Calder are still too poo infested.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Missing loads of things = Letting the game flow

missing loads of things that MY team did = letting the game flow = best ref all season
missing loads of things that the OPPO did = didn't have a clue, worst ref we've had all season

I would bet a pound to a penny fatherflipper's game was a home win?

:)

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
How did you guess? :biggrin:

I hear what you're both saying there - the away team did think I was ok, but missed a lot at the breakdown (their captain was openside and was questioning a lot of what was happening there). The home team had no such worries, funnily enough.

I did hear one comment - the away centre was into a gap and I called play back for a knock-on by his side: "noooo, sir you're having a shocker". Next play, he sliced the ball sideways and it went straight out for a gain of, oooh, a yard. I was standing next to him when he did it, with a massive grin on my face. He made eye-contact, but not for very long....:)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No sir you're having a shocker, I hope you as a minimum penalised him for that dissent

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stop it immediately, even if they are possibly right.:mad:

I'll ref this;:knuppel2: You haven't got enough time to play AND ref. :knuppel2: I've seen how you are playing. :shrug: Concentrate on one of them like I do.:hap:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Stop it immediately, even if they are possibly right.:mad:

Perhaps especially if they are right. It doesn't need to be a card/caution, or even a penalty (given the weather conditions implied above), but yes, above all, stop it.

Everybody has "bad days at the office", but during the game is no time to even suggest that a referee is doing so.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Weather permitting.

Yorkshire 2 - Level 8

Old Rishworthians v Keighley.

8th v 2nd - both teams have loads of games in hand over their rivals due to recent floods. Rish are still playing at Old Crossleyans as their pitches next to the Calder are still too poo infested.

Confirmed but switched to Keighley because of the floaters.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
After a positive-ish assessor's report on Saturday in what can only be described as one of the worst games of rugby I have ever experienced in my life (finished 10-10 and was pretty much 40 minutes of fighting, followed by 20 minutes of some attempts at rugby, followed by 20 minutes of hating myself for refereeing in a blizzard of hail), the attempt at some form of season rebuilding continues on Wednesday. I've picked up a Level 9 - Lancaster University 2nds v Liverpool 3rds. To make it even more rosey - both teams are bottom of their BUCS division (both joint 8 points) - and looking at the rest of the season for both teams I'd say the winner stays up. Not sure Liverpool will like a Lancaster Uni student refereeing but the I'm not sure Lancaster will either. Let the challenge begin!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sydney 7s for me.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Back on the road this week, on exchange to God's Country :drool:

Got the delights of Wheatley Hills -v- Northern.

Both sites are pretty devoid of match reports so should make for an interesting pre-match chat with the coaches and captains!

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
Beckett50, I live in God's country (Alaska) and we won't see any green turf for another couple of months. I am envious of the temperate climes! So, it's indoors U6 practice, review of game videos, and trying to figure out how to make our newest pitch playable in a week. That's ice, not snow.
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Beckett50, I live in God's country (Alaska) and we won't see any green turf for another couple of months. I am envious of the temperate climes! So, it's indoors U6 practice, review of game videos, and trying to figure out how to make our newest pitch playable in a week. That's ice, not snow.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 83

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
Story gentlemen re multiple posts. Evidently some kind of iPad-website-lager compatability issue...

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good level 8 game Workington v Windermere on the biggest pitch in the county, and on the train so a few beers too.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had a nice L8 Colts game.

They cancelled yesterday so now have what's left....2nd XV friendly. Still, a games a game. I will still enjoy myself and look forward to the challenge of trying to get a decent game for the players.