Which side put-in?

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Afternoon,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but can't see any reference to it.

Game this weekend. Scrum yellow around halfway, midway through the game, lots of scrums up until that point. Yellow scrum half goes around to the TH side to put throw the ball in. Black 9 throws his hands up and says "he can't change sides sir".

Not having come across this before, I said he was fine - my understanding is that you couldn't change sides during the same scrum (as in, if it was reset). He said you can't change sides from the start of the game. I allowed the Yellow 9 to continue. Next scrum, he reverted back to the LH side for the put-in, and we carried on as normal.

Who is right here? 20.5 says scrum half must throw in the ball from the side first chosen. First chosen when - from the start of the game, or from the setting of that scrum?

Am fully expecting to be told the 9 was right and put it down to experience. I seem to remember similar happening in a televised Northampton game a few years back, which had Dorian West going mental on the touchline (no change there then). Any thoughts?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes he can, as long as goes there straight away.

What he can't do is wait for the "Set!" and then go round. It is an oft used ploy these days.

Law reference 20.5 "Throwing the ball into the scrum"

"....The scrum half must throw in the ball from the side of the scrum first chosen."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the Law is ambiguously worded, but by common convention we all take it to mean they can decide at each scrum.
so you were right

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers gents - nice to be right (especially where gobby scrum-halves are concerned).

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
STOP GOBBY 9s! Why would you want to listen to that all game?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had a L9 game on Saturday where it was clear both scrum halves were newish to the role after a few scrums.
They put the ball in whichever side I stood on!
After 20 mins I got them together with hookers and captains to tell them what they were doing "wrong"
One of the hookers then said I wondered what the hell was going on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
What he can't do is wait for the "Set!" and then go round. It is an oft used ploy these days.

Is it? where?

Ive never seen it in 40 years of involvement!

didds

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Where did the non-feeding #9 stand when old mate went to the TH side to feed???

Oddly enough, he was round the same side, though he may have been following the Yellow 9 to be fair (he was actually a rather good player, certainly for that level).

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Oddly enough, he was round the same side, though he may have been following the Yellow 9 to be fair (he was actually a rather good player, certainly for that level).

No problems then. If he doesn't stand on the same side as the feeding SH, he has to go back with the rest of his backs.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Is it? where?

Ive never seen it in 40 years of involvement!

didds

Come back when you've got some time and experience under your belt young un :booty:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is it? where? Ive never seen it in 40 years of involvement! didds

I had an ambidextrous hooker when playing for my unit and we used to employ it. Have seen it a few times in other games, but never in the showbiz circles in which you move Didds ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I had an ambidextrous hooker when playing for my unit and we used to employ it. Have seen it a few times in other games, but never in the showbiz circles in which you move Didds 

Unless he was hooking with his hands, which would be most irregular, one suspects that you mean ambipedal.

[/pedantmode]

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had an ambidextrous hooker when playing for my unit and we used to employ it. Have seen it a few times in other games, but never in the showbiz circles in which you move Didds ��

I think what didds was responding to was the suggestion that the SH start a scrum on ones side then on "Set" (ie post engage) run around to the other side to lose/confuse his opponent, which is illegal. The only time we see that is when the SH realizes he's standing on the "wrong" side.

I'm surprised that feeding from the tight head side is not practiced as a tactic in the professional game given that hooking is not required when you feed it to your 2nd row.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
No problems then. If he doesn't stand on the same side as the feeding SH, he has to go back with the rest of his backs.

He can roam anywhere across the field as long he stays behind the back feet of his no8.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
He can roam anywhere across the field as long he stays behind the back feet of his no8.

Not quite.
When the scrum is being set, he has only two choices.
1) To be on the same side of the scrum as the feeding SH or
2) To be with the rest of his backs, 5m behind his #8's feet

When a team has won possession in the scrum, the opposing SH can move to the other side of the scrum but must stay behind the back feet of his #8 and, as you say, "He can roam anywhere across the field as long he stays behind the back feet of his no8."