Whistle Etiquette

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gents,
Thanks ! :clap:
I am now a card carrying, itchy monks habit wearing fully paid up member of the closed, Royal and Ancient society of referees ! :bday: (Just kidding - NO attitude).

Although the trying to lick my own boots was proving impossible until I realised I needed to remove them first and raise them to my lips ! :eek: Knew I shoulda cleaned them first .

I also now have access to the whistle tone thingy which was my original quest.

Cheers All.

Dave

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Although the trying to lick my own boots was proving impossible until I realised I needed to remove them first and raise them to my lips ! :eek: Knew I shoulda cleaned them first .

Ever tried bending your knees? :D

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref, the big advantage of being a Society member is that you get continuing training, and access to other referees with whom to debate issues and discuss aspects of the art. Of course, you can do a lot of that on here, too - but many of us find that human contact is also valuable.

There is a misconception that Society reffing does not impinge on junior matches. There are a great many London Society refs who turn out for their son's team on a Sunday, as well as honing their skills on a Saturday. But there is no obligation to do Saturday games (or indeed, any games) if you join the Society. Refs, like everyone else, have differing priorities and different amounts of available time. The Society will find ways of bringing you into the wider fold - and you might just find yourself taking on the additional challenge of adult games.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Join your society, you'll make some mates, who've been there, done that, and who will offer you some support when the going gets tougher. Invaluable.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"I also now have access to the whistle tone thingy which was my original quest."

Ahh I can't see this "secret section"..and really want to. I've tried changing my profile to a higher ranked aussie ref than I really am but that's not worked either. Must be a conspiracy against ELV loving Aussies and NZers!:D

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks SimonSmith - love your work... all good and happy camper now.

Donaldo01

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I can't access that thread either. Curiosity now killing me!

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's nothing there worth getting all het up about. Trust me.

And the use of a naked woman in the demonstrations was totally unnecessary and gratuitous (but most welcome) !!

Dave

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Donald - can you PM confirming that you are in fact a referee and Society? I'll then perform my magic!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's nothing there worth getting all het up about. Trust me.

And the use of a naked woman in the demonstrations was totally unnecessary and gratuitous (but most welcome) !!

Dave

Yeah you're right - I've seen that particular whistle work in a Thailand bar too. Amazing how a budgie can shrill like an Acme Thunder if you hold it the right way. I would never have known that without this thread. I'm going to practice in the car out of sight as suggested.