Whistle Etiquette

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi All,

Just wondering how many types of whistle blasts there are in a game.

I've been told that there are two. One akin to spitting into the whistle for touch, scrum etc and a serious full lung blast for all penalties.

BUT when I watch a lot of local games it would seem that the range of whistle blasts could be infinite ! :chin:

As to durations ................:wow: Perhaps another day !

Any general guidance would be very much appreciated.

Dave

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Dave. Have a look at this thread entitled WHISTLE TONE from a few weeks ago. There's some good advice in it. :wink:

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers Taff ! :clap:

I did do a site search under whistle blasts but didn't find anything.

I'll go looky see.

Dave

Edited to add : Taff, I am not allowed to access that link for some reason

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Whistel blasts:

Very short (peep) - scrum, LO
Medium length and louder than short- FK. I also use this to start each half although a bit longer
Long and loud - PK, Try, Conversion (Try and Conversion = "happy" celebration style blasts)
REALLY LONG and VERY LOUD - serious foul play

Plus for half time and no-side, whatever you feel like.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
beep-beep-beep-beep = stop with the hand bags, waltzing, touching each other

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
v short peep - line out
short peep - scrum
louder short peep - a mess but please STOP THAT now.... scrum
FK and Penalty - long blast with a distinct cut off (FK's are penalties after all so I keep them the same - only doing what the assessor told me to)
Try same as FK and Pen but I let it tail off (in a cheerful way)
Conv same a scrum with a try ending i.e. it tails off.
Kick offs a little phew-ou-we
No side - phew- phew- pheeeeEW

STOP HITTING EACH OTHER - Acme death blast, will perforate eardrums at 20m.

My whistle tone has been so poor from start of season until I was pulled up about it I had players running back 10m when I was awarding a scrum. See they DO listen to it!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dave. Have a look at this thread entitled WHISTLE TONE from a few weeks ago. There's some good advice in it. :wink:

I can't see that link either... hmm is there a secret part of the forum that only the *real* refs can see?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Taff, I am not allowed to access that link for some reason

I can't see that link either... hmm is there a secret part of the forum that only the *real* refs can see?
I didn't think there was, but just checking it again it is in the "Referees General Forum" so I'm guessing it is restricted. Sorry.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't think there was, but just checking it again it is in the "Referees General Forum" so I'm guessing it is restricted. Sorry.

Wow. A secret forum. Who knew?
So, what is it - by invitation only? Like the freemasons?

Actually this is a curious site - who runs it? how is it financed there doesn't seem to be any ads? Or are we playing in a ghost site.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Actually this is a curious site - who runs it?

this chap.

If you post a picture of your sister with no clothes on you will become one of the chosen ones :bday:

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Actually this is a curious site - who runs it? how is it financed there doesn't seem to be any ads? Or are we playing in a ghost site.
It was started by Robbie Burns, and in the early days several of us threw in our tuppences to pay for it. Robbie then got married and emigrated to Australia. He drops in occasionally, and I hope he will warn us if the money is about to run out.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wow. A secret forum. Who knew?
So, what is it - by invitation only? Like the freemasons?

:biggrin:
Crossref, the site was set up by one Robbie Burns, a chap refereeing in England who was knowledgeable enough and generous enough with his time to be able to achieve what you currently use.

Robbie's job took him to Australia, whence he occasionally drops back in to see how we are all getting on in his virtual refereeing world. When he left these shores, several IT-savvy contributors agreed to take over parts of the work that Robbie had hitherto done.

The "secret" forum is, in fact, available to all who class themselves as referees. It is "secret" so that we can discuss, out of the public glare, how to deal with the worst sort of shenanighans that the players routinely try to
put over us, or alternatively to admit our deepest, darkest failings without the clubs finding out how crap we are.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
CrossRef - how wrong you are !

Theere are no secret Forums but like many similar sites until you register, become a member, and are a qualified Society referee, you can't always see the full range of options.

Nothing like the Freemasons at all.

Why is it a curious site ?

As an alternative to ww.rfu.com Forums, it was founded by a visionary guy who was a London Society Referee (who then went to Autralia !) and supported by a number of us from various English Societies. Others then joined from around the world.

It is supported financially by many of the original members who paid for the server licences. So far the founder has not asked for any more money.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was only teasing: it's an excellent site, and I have no desire to gatecrash somewhere not intended for the likes of me.

I thought by creating my 'crossref' username I have registered?
Or is there another registration process that I have missed?

We are what we habitually do.... so I do class myself as a 'referee' because it's what I do most Sunday mornings. But, no, I'm not a real referee - I only do junior rugby (U13s mainly, but on Sunday I think I may be making my debut at the giddy heights of U15s)

I have done ELRA1 and 2 but I haven't joined a Society (which would be London in my case) as the Society doesn't really seem to be relevant at these age group levels (correct me if I am wrong)

When I get home I will upload that picture of my sister, and await my invitation to the not-secret section :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We are what we habitually do.... so I do class myself as a 'referee' because it's what I do most Sunday mornings. But, no, I'm not a real referee - I only do junior rugby (U13s mainly, but on Sunday I think I may be making my debut at the giddy heights of U15s)

I have done ELRA1 and 2 but I haven't joined a Society (which would be London in my case) as the Society doesn't really seem to be relevant at these age group levels (correct me if I am wrong)

You are a proper referee if ELRA qualified.

Join the Society or at least get involved with Club Referee Co-ordinator initiative. Some clubs have a sub-Society themselves including the mini/midi people too !

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm ELRA 'qualified' (if anything can qualify you to ref a rugby match!) and a society member (Suffolk & N.Essex).

Who's boots do i have to lick to get let into this closed order ?

Dave :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Dave
I've amended your profile. Try seeing if you can get access to the Refs forums now.

If not, PM me and I'll sort it out

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
:... The "secret" forum is, in fact, available to all who class themselves as referees. It is "secret" so that we can discuss, out of the public glare, how to deal with the worst sort of shenanighans that the players routinely try to put over us, or alternatively to admit our deepest, darkest failings without the clubs finding out how crap we are.
Which makes perfect sense to me. I feel more likely to discuss my numerous refereeing shortcomings with other qualified referees, rather than with the general public.

Wow. A secret forum. Who knew? So, what is it - by invitation only? Like the freemasons?
It can't be by invite, because I've never been "invited" neither have I rolled up my trouser leg and given anyone a funny handshake. I did fill in all the relevant boxes though when I registered. Perhaps it would be worth you checking your User Control Panel (User CP) towards the top of the page.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm ELRA 'qualified' (if anything can qualify you to ref a rugby match!) and a society member (Suffolk & N.Essex).

Who's boots do i have to lick to get let into this closed order ?

Dave :)

Your own - fill in a proper grade and hey presto !