who supplies ref kit???

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
I'd like to know how things are dealt with in other countries concerning referees' official match kit (shorts, socks, jersey). Is there a national sponsor? Are only certain levels concerned? Do you have to buy all the kit? etc....
In France, the situation is quite confusing. Our sponsor (La Poste - Royal mail equivalent) supplies jerseys via a wholesaler. Refs have to wear the official outfit down to level 5 (1st XV only). All the others receive a jersey; upto them to buy (nearly 30€!!) shorts and a pair of socks that go with the jersey. The modern marketing techniques are fully applied, so the jerseys change every year; we therefore have to cough up every year.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
In Wales, what you get depends upon your grade. Basically you get a shirt (sponsored). Boots occasionally and you buy the rest. Other stuff, from time to time. As you move up you get other stuff.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
In London I was always supplied with a shirt, I had to buy socks & shorts, and other coloured shirts.

In Aus, I have to buy all my kit, but the cost of this gets deducted from my match fees.

We only have two colours here, Gold & White. There is also a green, but this is for new refs to wear in their first season (which will be in junior games) to show all that they are in their first year (so don't whinge if they make a mistake).

Works well.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In Warwickshire we get a shirt each season FOC (or after 10 games if its your first season). we have to buy shorts, socks etc.
Each season refs who do more than 40 games in a season get something else. Kitbag, track suit, dress shirt, etc.

You get full RFU kit if you get to Level 5 or above.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
In Berkshire, the shirt, socks and shorts are supplied by the Society. The shirt changes fairly frequently; the shorts and socks less so.

Simon Thomas, our resident Marketing Guru, has tried to drum up interest in a national sponsorship deal covering all referees in England; I believe that the proposal foundered, not because a sponsor could not be found, but because local Societies wanted to hang onto existing sponsorship arrangements. ST can be more precise (and perhaps more accurate).

It's great that La Poste does this national sponsorship. Bit like US Postal with cycling! :wink:

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In Cumbria we have to buy our own kit.
Didn't bother this year, I've got enough

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In Wales, what you get depends upon your grade. Basically you get a shirt (sponsored). Boots occasionally and you buy the rest. Other stuff, from time to time. As you move up you get other stuff.
It seems to depend on the region you're in ATTR, because we get given a shirt, shorts and socks. This seasons kit are Under Armour - at least that's what I've been given at District level ie Level 1 and Level 2. I'm not sure what they get at Level 3, but I assume it's more.

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is my first season as a ref with the South Manchester Referee's Association, reffing mainly 3rd & 4th teams.

I've been given a shirt, flags (for use by touch judges) ref's wallet with cards, a rain jacket, branded t-shirt and tie. Not sure if this is because I'm just starting out or if it's the same for everyone in SMRA.

As has been said above, I'm sure it varies immensely where you ref, and year by year.

Andrew

Whistleblower

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In North Midlands we have to pay for everything individually. We did get part funded track suits last season. Seems to vary each area, may be dependant on how much each Society charges for membership in North Midlands it has just gone up this year from £10 to £20.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It's the same for everyone Andrew. The North West Leagues are very good at looking after their refs in terms of kit. Shorts and socks are the only thing we have to provide for ourselves (apart from boots obviously). A change shirt might be good though as we colour clash with a couple of clubs; I use my yellow canary ELRA shirt when that happens.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the two Unions I've worked under, I've had to cover (almost) everything. I have one top I received from working the 2011 All-Iowa tournament.

If I need clash kit, I get in touch with Liquid Rugby.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Here in the Toronto area, we are encouraged to use the latest society kit, but some refs have older kits or other generic jerseys. I would say the large majority has the society kit though. If I remember correctly we paid for our kit but were reimbursed for the cost of the main and alternate jersey. Shorts and socks were our responsibility. Rain gear, bags, and flags are also ours to pay for. We did get a whistle, and cards/score wallet when we do our initial training course. I believe panel and focus group refs get kits supplied.

I was lucky to get a third jersey (different colour than the first two) when I reffed the 50th anniversary of a provincial highschool tournament.

The other thing is we are also paid games/refs fees and mileage over a certain amount is paid as well so the burden of buying a kit, cleats, flags etc isn't significant. My understanding is in some societies games/refs fees are not paid correct?

Last edited:

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
Concerning the ref fees, level 5 downwards are paid 50€/match + 0.39€/km return. Touch judges (level 5 downwards) are paid 30€ + 0.39€/km.
For the costs, the ref licences cost 90€ for level 6 downwards (territorial refs). Federal refs pay 220€. There is a 20€ fee to pay for the "trade union" and 60€ for the refs "club" who organise various events. Add on the various meetings with overnight stay. I've spent 350€ this season, excluding kit.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A referees union? How very French!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In Aus, I have to buy all my kit, but the cost of this gets deducted from my match fees.

Rob, that is not universal. In Victoria, we are supplied with shirt, shorts and socks and all are required to wear this gear.

We also have the green shirt program for newbies.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Concerning the ref fees, level 5 downwards are paid 50€/match + 0.39€/km return. Touch judges (level 5 downwards) are paid 30€ + 0.39€/km.
For the costs, the ref licences cost 90€ for level 6 downwards (territorial refs). Federal refs pay 220€. There is a 20€ fee to pay for the "trade union" and 60€ for the refs "club" who organise various events. Add on the various meetings with overnight stay. I've spent 350€ this season, excluding kit.

That's pretty impressive. Our fees range from $40/match for U18's and down to $70/match for university games.

Senior Men/Women games are $50 or $60 depending on the level (ie 3rds might be $50, 1sts are $60)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rob, that is not universal. In Victoria, we are supplied with shirt, shorts and socks and all are required to wear this gear.

We also have the green shirt program for newbies.

This is the ACT standard too. Newby juniors receive a nice yellow polo first up (still doesn't stop the parents whining on the sideline when the new kids make mistakes!...bloody muppets!) as well as whistle and cards.

New shorts and socks every year for those that want them...shorts are sponsored. (New Jersey only every few years)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The whole thing looks a lot more professional if you're in matching gear

Junior_Rebel_Curtain_Raiser_11_Feb_12_thumbnail_image.JPG

These guys are community level refs. Tracksuit bottoms for #4 & 5

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Round here, fees are $50 from the club (due on match day) for the A side, B side (if applicable) is negotiable, usually 50c/minute. Mileage is reimbursed at season's end, and last season was 25c/mile (which adds up when most matches require 180 miles of RT driving.