Why don't they make being in front of the kicker at kick-off a PK offence?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why don't they make being in front of the kicker at kick-off a PK offence? (Like it is at most other kicks.)

Georgia were totally taking the p*ss today, with their winger ahead of the kicker at every single kick-off, making a nuisance of himself to the catchers.

The current sanction is so lax it's not really a disincentive and it's hardly ever called by the ref.

Nothing a couple of PKs wouldn't sort out in a hurry 😄

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Why don't they make being in front of the kicker at kick-off a PK offence? (Like it is at most other kicks.)

Georgia were totally taking the p*ss today, with their winger ahead of the kicker at every single kick-off, making a nuisance of himself to the catchers.

The current sanction is so lax it's not really a disincentive and it's hardly ever called by the ref.

I thought the same in the Italy v NZ game as well

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The ref could always pull the 'intentional offending' card

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Do you ever get that feeling of deja-vu?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The ref could always pull the 'intentional offending' card
the ref COULD.
COULD being an operative word.

It of course NEVER is at these levels. For some off reason. Which given a T03 must be pretty simple to spot after all.

In the same way simple things ike squint feeds and throwers standing infield at lineouts are called.

Oh....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the ref COULD.
COULD being an operative word.

It of course NEVER is at these levels. For some off reason. Which given a T03 must be pretty simple to spot after all.

In the same way simple things ike squint feeds and throwers standing infield at lineouts are called.

Oh....
I don't see how taking Belladonna's suggestion of making the offence a penalty will encourage elite referees to pick it up

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

What, Nige being Kaplan like again?

He's turning into a prize twat.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't see how taking Belladonna's suggestion of making the offence a penalty will encourage elite referees to pick it up
And Id agree with that indeed.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Again?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

It's only a penalty if team mates in front of the kicker in open play... at a restart, PK or FK the sanction is a scrum.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's only a penalty if team mates in front of the kicker in open play... at a restart, PK or FK the sanction is a scrum.
Isn't the point that @belladonna is trying to make that it should be reclassified as a penalty?

We then need to see it applied zealously and the long range kickers slotting 3 pointers from the halfway line to bring about a change in behaviour very rapidly.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Isn't the point that @belladonna is trying to make that it should be reclassified as a penalty?

We then need to see it applied zealously and the long range kickers slotting 3 pointers from the halfway line to bring about a change in behaviour very rapidly.
It wasn't clear what was meant in the OP by "most other kicks"... in reality, it is only a penalty regarding a kick in open play, which is the only one scenario.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think the scrum sanction is OK, tbh.

I do sanction it sometimes. My thinking is
- fat slow prop ambling 1m ahead, I'll ignore it (perhaps have a word at some point if it's annoying )
- speedster hairing after the ball and 1m ahead at top speed -- if he gets to the catch fast enough to make a diffrence, happily sanction that first time, otherwise I'll make a point to tell him not so do it again

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I was told by a more experienced ref to tell the kicker that it's his responsibility to ensure his teammates are behind him... I've found it works quite well.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I do sanction it sometimes. My thinking is
- fat slow prop ambling 1m ahead, I'll ignore it (perhaps have a word at some point if it's annoying )
- speedster hairing after the ball and 1m ahead at top speed -- if he gets to the catch fast enough to make a difference, happily sanction that first time, otherwise I'll make a point to tell him not so do it again
But didn't you say in another thread

"Yes but generally speaking equity and fairness means applying the Law (rather than making It up as you go along)"

How does "sanctioning it sometimes" align with that statement

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was told by a more experienced ref to tell the kicker that it's his responsibility to ensure his teammates are behind him... I've found it works quite well.
This is the right answer

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But didn't you say in another thread

"Yes but generally speaking equity and fairness means applying the Law (rather than making It up as you go along)"

How does "sanctioning it sometimes" align with that statement
Put it this way: I wouldn't deal with a person in front of the kicker by stopping the clock and telling them to take the kick again, because I felt that was fairer