[Tackle] WR: Decision-making framework for high tackles

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
1. Def no attempt to wrap. Leading arm in the "Sling" position more or less. Plenty time to site the BC and line him up properly. YC maybe even RC.

2. Farrell's no even tackling the player with the ball!!!! There was a high tackle from the other player though, I'd probably YC both

3. As the first tackle. No wrap, I don't think its as back as the other one though, in terms of outcome. But I don't ref based on outcome. YC

My point is "no wrap" doesn't appear to be a consideration anymore. Just position of arm in relation to shoulder.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The element of danger was high in No 1. That's my thinking for YC. Doesn't need to be head contact for the YC, just the potential for danger. I was thinking maybe red as the BCs face smacks into Farrell's shoulder, therefore head contact. But I don't think that would be a deciding factor for me, but can see why it could go to red. Plus Grasping is still mentioned and as in previous threads it's been generally accepted the grasping=wrapping.

No 2 is him shoulder charging the player without the ball there's 2 YC offences at one time. I can see the RC for the high tackle on the ball carrier, head contact with force, fair enough.

The last one, is indeed less clear. There doesn't seem to be head contact but the potential for danger is still present. Stand by YC for that and pretty much 95% of no arms charges I've seen. Including the 1 I accidentally did last season oops.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My main issue, having watched the video a number of times (yes, I know I should get out more!) is the example where the Wales -v- All Blacks game is used.

If the same situation is repeated at a future match, then Luke Pearce is supposed to show - based upon the narration of the video - a YC :noyc:and a RC :norc: to the tackler and tackle assist? Are you really expecting me to believe that in an International match this will be permitted to happen?

I can see a lot of cop outs coming at the RWC

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My main issue, having watched the video a number of times (yes, I know I should get out more!) is the example where the Wales -v- All Blacks game is used.

If the same situation is repeated at a future match, then Luke Pearce is supposed to show - based upon the narration of the video - a YC :noyc:and a RC :norc: to the tackler and tackle assist? Are you really expecting me to believe that in an International match this will be permitted to happen?

I am inclined to agree.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
? Are you really expecting me to believe that in an International match this will be permitted to happen?

Every world cup they announce a laws freeze in the run up .... And then smuggle in loads of laws changes

Remember Sam Warburton being RC on the basis of brand new guidance ? Rolland totally correct in following guidance , and most of the rugby world bemused as this was the first they had heard of it