WR Law changes for 2016

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As for the faking it without foul play - diving out of the line out (despite never being pushed)?.

strewth - is this STILL being bandied around?

The penalty wans't for Haden's dive, it was for Geoff Wheel barging Frank Oliver. That's not to say that Haden didn't dive - but it didn't win a PK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4iOOjOWL4

Look at Wheel at #2 - levers off Frank Oliver clear as day.

Can we PLEASE put this one to bed after 37 years?

didds

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

No.:hap:

The first offence was the attempt to con the ref. The second was the levering!:deadhorse:
P.S. I was was there about 5M away.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
SH "stamping" near the ball at a ruck to try and imply oppo hands are on it (when they aren't)?

? if I fall for that trick, I'm going to give a PK against him for stamping! Just because someone has his hands on the ball doesn't mean that you can stamp on him. Not now.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

How can the Welsh put the thing to bed when it gives them something with which to indulge their favourite pastime.... nursing grievances!!! :biggrin:

Besides, the Haden dive out of the line-out was payback for those cheatin' bloody Welshmen who dragged Bob Deans back after he scored a try into the field of play in 1905!! :pepper:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

The first offence was the attempt to con the ref. The second was the levering!:deadhorse:

which offense was material?

Who does Quittenton point at and speak to after the PK award?

didds

- - - Updated - - -

How can the Welsh put the thing to bed when it gives them something with which to indulge their favourite pastime.... nursing grievances!!! :biggrin:

Besides, the Haden dive out of the line-out was payback for those cheatin' bloody Welshmen who dragged Bob Deans back after he scored a try into the field of play in 1905!! :pepper:

I somehow knew Bob Deans would make an appearance still after 111 years !

LOL

didds

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Sense of humour please people.....

Sorry I didn't add a :sarc:. Thought it was obvious and implied. My bad....

Balones

Post Likes
which offense was material?

Who does Quittenton point at and speak to after the PK award?

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Even international refs can make mistakes and miss the first offence. Haden's offence was leaving the line before it was over as well as ungentlemanly conduct. if the ref had seen it then Wales would have cleared their lines and eased the pressure.:deadhorse:

I somehow knew Bob Deans would make an appearance still after 111 years !

LOL

didds
Pulling him back wasn't an offence.:hap:

Balones

Post Likes
Sense of humour please people.....

Sorry I didn't add a :sarc:. Thought it was obvious and implied. My bad....

I believe Ian, didds and I are all on the same page:biggrin: (Only in different history books!)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

The two offences happened at the same time (as near as is possible). We lost GET OVER IT! The Dive was not clearly the "first offence" and the ref disagreed with you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Under 1978 laws, what offence could Haden be said to have committed? An act contrary to good sportsmanship seems to be the only option. In the same play there was an act of actual foul play, namely levering on an opponent. That is certainly what Quittenton indicated. I don't know if he had been allowing it all game, as claimed in the video, but given a choice between Haden and Wheel any referee would penalise Wheel.

When I did the tour of the Millennium Stadium, the guide pointed out the bit of concrete that now covers the spot where Deans may or may not have scored. On the wall of the Cardiff trophy room were several items which made it clear there was no agreement even among the Welsh as to whether or not he had scored, but AFAIK nobody ever admitted pulling him back.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I wonder if they will enforce the law that stops people binding into mauls in front of the ball carrier or will they conveniently ignore that like they do on all televised games.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Law 20.1
A team must be ready for the referee to call “crouch” within 30 seconds from the time the referee
makes the mark for the scrum (FK).

FOUL PLAY
Law 10.2
It is now explicitly illegal for a player to “simulate” that they been subject to any infringement at all,
including (but not limited to) foul play (PK).

Kind of embarrassing that rugby has evolved to the point that these 2 are now law.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade