[Mini/Midi] WRU Under Tens Question

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One for the Welsh refs here:
Im reffing U10 for the first time on Sunday. I've read through the variations to the standard U19 rules. The U10 bit specifically says a scrum is to be awarded for ko and forward pass, but does not mention 5m scrums at all. Does that imply no 5m scrums or that you award them in line with normal U19 variations to the standard rules? Or, indeed, that you would only award a 5m scrum for attacker knocking on in goal? If so, is it still a 5m scrum or a shorter distance to allow for the half pitch?

I appreciate I'm probably over-thinking this :)

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi tewdric .Glad to see refs who ref mini matches showing a proper interest .I would talk to both coaches 1st & let them know , that todays gamr is all about kids having fun .Tell them nicely we are not at 6 nations here today & as such you will probably let go most knock ons & forward passes ..and will only blow if offending team are far ahead in points .As for scrum , im sure you will be using only quater of pitch ,,half at most .Dont worry too much about marking out exactly 5 meters .But in answer to your question ,,srep in wards 5 steps & mark scrum area ..Im sure under 10s is probably no pushing .So i would concentrate in keeping scrum safe , ..I can tell you ,,you wont be just the referee ,,you will be helping / coaching kids through out game of how to stay on side ,,but in generall it will be ,,,bees around pot honey ..Reffing minis is harder than u13 onwards ..Good luck & enjoy ..Dont be afraid to stop the match and ask all kids to say ,,shush .To any clown parent on side line ..who has left his manners at home

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One for the Welsh refs here:
Im reffing U10 for the first time on Sunday. I've read through the variations to the standard U19 rules. The U10 bit specifically says a scrum is to be awarded for ko and forward pass, but does not mention 5m scrums at all. Does that imply no 5m scrums or that you award them in line with normal U19 variations to the standard rules? Or, indeed, that you would only award a 5m scrum for attacker knocking on in goal? If so, is it still a 5m scrum or a shorter distance to allow for the half pitch?

I appreciate I'm probably over-thinking this :)

You apply the laws of the game and work backwards.

What do I mean? Simply you apply the FULL laws EXCEPT where exceptions are given. So, where there is a youth variation that applies. them you add the next variation down and so on until you get to the age group you are dealing with. Distances apply as per full laws unless the variations state otherwise.

So to take your specific "Knock on into in-goal" issues. yes it is a scrum 5 as per full laws. Remember YOU are the judge of what 5 metres is.

DON'T ignore knock ons etc I disagree with Christy here. But make sure offences really are VERY clear and obvious. Yes you can "stretch" it a little if one team is getting near to the "magic" 50 point lead after all you can easily be "unsighted. But remember, kids pick up if you are taking the mick just as quickly as adults

That said Christy does make some valid points.

The game is about the kids don't be overly harsh and remember to encourage / coach / develop.

Coaches / parents abusing players or you ( in all its forms) is a clear NO. STAMP ON IT!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
One for the Welsh refs here: Im reffing U10 for the first time on Sunday.
Don't expect to be the next Nigel Owens overnight. Trust me, you would have to be really really bad to have a worse 1st game than I did, and I know some really knowledgeable people on here have said the same; ie that they would rather forget their first game.

Make sure the kids enjoy (thankfully they are pretty forgiving) and you will probably enjoy it. All the best.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not sure how old you are (here an Under 10 game would normally be reffed by someone younger than 15 - and they are competition games on a full length pitch) but either way my main tips would be loud voice, loud whistle and if in doubt shout "play on", "keep playing" or some such as youngsters often stop when a ball is dropped.

If you keep them on their feet (kids love flopping on the ball) and roughly onside everyone will be happy

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi tewdric .Glad to see refs who ref mini matches showing a proper interest .I would talk to both coaches 1st & let them know , that todays gamr is all about kids having fun .Tell them nicely we are not at 6 nations here today & as such you will probably let go most knock ons & forward passes ..and will only blow if offending team are far ahead in points .As for scrum , im sure you will be using only quater of pitch ,,half at most .Dont worry too much about marking out exactly 5 meters .But in answer to your question ,,srep in wards 5 steps & mark scrum area ..Im sure under 10s is probably no pushing .So i would concentrate in keeping scrum safe , ..I can tell you ,,you wont be just the referee ,,you will be helping / coaching kids through out game of how to stay on side ,,but in generall it will be ,,,bees around pot honey ..Reffing minis is harder than u13 onwards ..Good luck & enjoy ..Dont be afraid to stop the match and ask all kids to say ,,shush .To any clown parent on side line ..who has left his manners at home

Ten year olds will perfectly well understand basic laws like forward passes, and will be very upset if the referee doesn't enforce them. Ten year olds tend to have an acute sensitivity about things being fair !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
here an Under 10 game would normally be reffed by someone younger than 15 - and they are competition games on a full length pitch

9 year olds on a 100m x 65m pitch? Ye Gods!

Is that just not full of 90m run away tries as the quick kids run round the slow kids and score somewhere over their horizon?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just worry about safety, enjoyment and fairness (particularly at that level.)

Let's be honest, the players won't know the laws, so just decide what you're going to do and do it consistently.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
you would have to be really really bad to have a worse 1st game than I did, and I know some really knowledgeable people on here have said the same; ie that they would rather forget their first game.

I blew for a try when they touched the ball down on the 5m line :pepper:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ten year olds will perfectly well understand basic laws like forward passes, and will be very upset if the referee doesn't enforce them. Ten year olds tend to have an acute sensitivity about things being fair !

My point. Don't patronize thenm.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I brought it up at my assessment and the assessor had missed it. Should keep my mouth shut!

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Some fantastic advice folks, thank you all. I have two sons in the club and coach the younger at U7 - I will be reffing a year up from my eldest as neither side (we are away up the valleys!) has a qualified ref.

I get the safety and enjoyment completely and will simply try to be clear and consistent. First time out for my new shiny yellow shirt so wish me luck :).

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I have found I am usually stricter than most people who ref U10s (now U11), and the kids seem to appreciate it - they are more than capable now of understanding a KO, offside, or side entry. As somebody previously said they have a great sense of injustice and appreciate the clear boundaries (they really hate it when the laws are not enforced by poorer refs at festivals). Enforcing the laws also means they learn them.

enforcing offside etc. also gives the attack room to work, so you actually get a better game, which the kids enjoy more. I also play huge amounts of advantage, and often for a long period - it’s ‘fair’ because I have spotted the offence but also allows them to play.

I’m in England so can’t speak to the WFU system - but where the age-grade refs are silent, I also tend to borrow from the full laws and Taylor in the sprint of the age grade regs.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
As long as the kids have fun , in a safe environment .
Thats all that counts ..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As long as the kids have fun , in a safe environment .
Thats all that counts ..

For them to have fun, they need a ref who enforces the Laws .. mcroker puts it perfectly in post #15

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
9 year olds on a 100m x 65m pitch? Ye Gods!

Is that just not full of 90m run away tries as the quick kids run round the slow kids and score somewhere over their horizon?

didds

The touch lines come in to the 5m line and they play 12 a side, but full length pitch and contested scrums (6 man) and lineouts and normal ruck and maul law

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well I survived! Really enjoyed it actually. Not too many howlers fortunately and got a thank you from the coaches and lots of parents.

I definitely need to work on my positioning and getting closer to the action, although I was concious of clattering the players by mistake!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just checking the pathway bookles and pag 18 begins with the very clear statement thus:

IRB (sic) under 19 Laws apply apart from:

So I think that is pretty clear as to what you do where the pathway does not specifically refer.