[Law] YC --- and then ..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue player receives a YC

he sets off to leave the pitch -- but just before he reaches the far touchline, he punches green winger.

Ref issues a RC.

So after ten minutes has elapsed -- someone else can come on .... right ?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
For what it's worth, I would say no.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think so. If he gets a YC and then tells you to @#$%^ off thereby escalating to RC I think they play short the rest of the match.

Logic says he is still representing a player position, even in the bin.

If, after his time in the bin, he is replaced and then punches some-one that is a different matter.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Didn't we have this recently?

IMO you can't have a second yellow "whilst binned", but that doesn't mean the referee can't upgrade to a full red for something like a punch.

RC = 1 player fewer for the rest of the game. YC = 1 player fewer for the next 10 minutes. So if there is a RC, nobody else comes on after 10 minutes, again IMO.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
No.
As Marauder pointed out, if you issue a YC and as the player is leaving he swears at you or calls you a F#@&^%* cheat etc, the original YC is upgraded to a RC.

His 10 minutes for the original YC doesn't start until his bum hits the naughty chair.

He is gone for the game and no replacement.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
He is still on the F O P, red is red, play one short for the rest of the game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
His 10 minutes for the original YC doesn't start until his bum hits the naughty chair.

Actually, we don't do it that way anymore. 10 minutes (or 2 minutes for 7s) starts as soon as ref blows time on.

But that doesn't impact the OP. A punch either on the way to the naughty chair or whilst on the naughty chair will keep his team one player short for the duration of the match.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Actually, we don't do it that way anymore. 10 minutes starts as soon as ref blows time on.

But that doesn't impact the OP. A punch either on the way to the naughty chair or whilst on the naughty chair will keep his team one player short for the duration of the match.

Cheers.
Makes sense for big games.
We still time it when bum hits chair in our local competition.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue player receives a YC

he sets off to leave the pitch -- but just before he reaches the far touchline, he punches green winger.

Ref issues a RC.

So after ten minutes has elapsed -- someone else can come on .... right ?

crossref, this has me wondering if there is more to the OP than meets the eye. Why would you think someone else can come on?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Actually, we don't do it that way anymore. 10 minutes (or 2 minutes for 7s) starts as soon as ref blows time on.

Sorry...who's "we"?
I've always understood it that the time for the YC commences as soon as they step off the field of play (not bum on chair as they may leave the field on the far side)???

So I'm with Womble, that while he's in f.o.p and gets a RC then no return and one down.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nothing really. Just testing. It's hypothetical
Once a player has been YC isn't a subsequent RC rather like RC a sub?
If you RC a sub they still have 15 on the pitch

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Didn't Dave pearson have obe of these a couple of years ago? He YC two guys for soke pushing etc. And on the way to the bin they got in a fight. Brought them back for RCs.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So I'm with Womble, that while he's in f.o.p and gets a RC then no return and one down.

so, by inference, does something different happen if he is not in f.o.p.?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry...who's "we"?

fair question. This is how I and my counterparts do it for IRB 7s and I've confirmed with a S15 #4 that this is how it is done for S15 too.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so, by inference, does something different happen if he is not in f.o.p.?

Good question...after I wrote that I thought about a situation where for eg, a bench player commits a RC offence (abuse ref or punches/fight with an opposing bench player). If he's shown a RC he cannot come on but does someone have to leave the field?
I thought 'no' (besides, who would it be?). If he's not on the f.o.p and was shown a red card then he's not technically been 'sent off' (because he wasn't on?).

But I can't back that up in law as I can't find anything about players being sent off while they're not in the f.o.p?

But the foul play laws about misconduct apply to 'playing enclosure' so players not in the f.o.p are still subject to law 10. So it seems to me legitimate to be able to RC any player on the sideline. Law 3.5 says sent off players can't be subsituted. But if they weren't on the field then they're not being substituted? (Maybe it means that they can't bring in another substitute player for the substitute player that was just red carded? Ie can't refill the bench).

I'm just applying a little commons sense as I dont have the answer in law, so grateful if someone does and can post the relevant law?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In general terms if you RC a sub
They now have one fewer sub
The sub will go through the discipline process
They still have 15 on the pitch

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's a no from me. :nono:

Although he is in the bin he is still classed as part of the team of 15. They can't replace him (if they want to) until his 10 minutes is up. So if you RC him, he doesn't come back on...and neither does anyone else.

Last edited:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
If he doesn't come back on before the 15 minutes is up then he stays off, and the temporary replacement also goes off.

??

[LAWS]If the player who has been temporarily replaced is not available to return to the field of play within 15 minutes (actual time) of leaving the playing area, the replacement becomes permanent and the replaced player must not return to the field of play.[/LAWS]

Edit: My Bad...Phil E

Last edited by a moderator:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let's extend the timescale a little, and see if it changes the answer - or reinforces the answer

- Blue player is YC

- 5 minutes go by, and he is sitting in his tech area at pitchj side

- the AR makes a controversial call, and in plain sight and hearing of the ref, the player leaps to his feet, and loudly calls the AR a "F** lying cheating c**" (or some such; if you don't think this is a RC, add some more...)

- ref issues a RC, clearly he's not coming back on the pitch, and will have a disciplinary to follow

- when the 10 minutes or the original YC is up, can some other player come on to the pitch?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
So hyptothetically Red v White.
White captain tells Sir that he wants to change White 7 for White 18.
Sir calls White 18 onto the pitch and he shakes White 7s hand on the way off, but before W7 gets to the sideline he gets into a discussion with Red 14, takes objection to being called a big girls blouse and therefore punches Red 14.

White 7 gets a straight red - does white 18 get to stay on the pitch?