Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Another hypothetical
White 2 is YC.
White 7 goes off for White 17 to allow contested scrums.
While on the side-lines White 7 punches Red 20 - clear RC.

When White 2 comes back can White 18 replace White 7?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Another hypothetical
White 2 is YC.
White 7 goes off for White 17 to allow contested scrums.
While on the side-lines White 7 punches Red 20 - clear RC.

When White 2 comes back can White 18 replace White 7?

Provided white 7 doesn't come back on and white finishes game with 14 players, go for your life.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
not if I'm the ref

Why not?
If they are allowed to make a change (at a suitable time) why can't they change the YC player?
Or are you going to make them bring him back on, and then make the change? Bit pedantic.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why not?
If they are allowed to make a change (at a suitable time) why can't they change the YC player?
Or are you going to make them bring him back on, and then make the change? Bit pedantic.

In crossref's scenario (see #19) to which Dickie was replying, the YC player had been RC'd while in the bin; so surely Dickie's right?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess we need WR to say that while you're under a yellow card you are still treated as if you are on the pitch.

Actually, that would give scope for skulduggery on the touchline where opponents can wind up sin binners to try and elicit a RC offense.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
although these scenarios are pretty unlikely, so prob no need to bother. just let the refs sort it out on the day.

I like this scenario though ...

So hyptothetically Red v White.
White captain tells Sir that he wants to change White 7 for White 18.
Sir calls White 18 onto the pitch and he shakes White 7s hand on the way off, but before W7 gets to the sideline he gets into a discussion with Red 14, takes objection to being called a big girls blouse and therefore punches Red 14.

White 7 gets a straight red - does white 18 get to stay on the pitch?

the key question is the precise moment the substitution happens.

my instinct is that it has happened, and so 18 gets to stay..

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure about your subbing laws, but surely the sub and the player he is subbing for should not be on the field at the same time.

Maybe that's how you guys do it, but it sounds problematic.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In crossref's scenario (see #19) to which Dickie was replying, the YC player had been RC'd while in the bin; so surely Dickie's right?

I was responding to this....

Originally Posted by crossref View Post
- when the 10 minutes or the original YC is up, can some other player come on to the pitch?
not if I'm the ref

For which my post still stands.

If there was more to the scenario it needs to be included, i'm not psychic.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Its good to read the thread, just as well your not employed in professional rugby, that would cause absolute mayhem !!!! :pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Its good to read the thread, just as well your not employed in professional rugby, that would cause absolute mayhem !!!! :pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Well I'm sure your guys will be on their best behaviour at the end of the month and none of this will be a problem :wink:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Don't need to be psychic - just read the scenario.

YC'd player has committed foul play 5 minutes into his sin bin and is red carded. Off to the showers. Can't then be replaced.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Well I'm sure your guys will be on their best behaviour at the end of the month and none of this will be a problem :wink:

If your down to ref us then get the train, our club is 2 mins walk from the station, we could have a few apples and discuss life !

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
So to write a flow chart

A player on the pitch gets a red card - team down to 14 for the rest of the match
A player in the sin bin gets a red card- team down to 14 for the rest of the match
A substitute who has not come on gets a red card - player cannot come on, team remains at 15
A player who has gone off gets a red card - player cannot ever come back on, team remains at 15:
this includes interchanges, blood bin, head assessment, players off in place of a carded prop etc.

In all cases a second yellow equals a red.

Have I got that right?
Can someone with appropriate authority suggest to WR that it be put in the laws for the next revision. (oink oink flap flap)
If a player commits a separate second yellow offence while advantage is being played for the first you can show two yellow = red.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don't need to be psychic - just read the scenario.

YC'd player has committed foul play 5 minutes into his sin bin and is red carded. Off to the showers. Can't then be replaced.

Agreed, I was responding to a post about a YC not a RC.

Sometimes I don't read the whole thread, just jump into the juicy bits. Mea culpa.
Can you imagine someone reading the whole leggings thread rather than just popping to the end?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
can you wear leggings?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Let's extend the timescale a little, and see if it changes the answer - or reinforces the answer

- Blue player is YC

- 5 minutes go by, and he is sitting in his tech area at pitchj side

- the AR makes a controversial call, and in plain sight and hearing of the ref, the player leaps to his feet, and loudly calls the AR a "F** lying cheating c**" (or some such; if you don't think this is a RC, add some more...)

- ref issues a RC, clearly he's not coming back on the pitch, and will have a disciplinary to follow

- when the 10 minutes or the original YC is up, can some other player come on to the pitch?

Changes nothng for me. He gets a red card and the team is down to 14 for the duration.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

It was in the opening thread which we are discussing.