[Tackle] YC/RD

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
???????????

8.3 A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts if foul play by the opposing team

Law 9 outlines foul play.

And a simple offside is not necessarily deliberate - it can just be crap timing

In short I can see a not unlikely scenario of an early OFFSIDE resulting in a PT (beam me up scotty etc ) that is nothing like FOUL PLAY . The card scenario in law 8 specvifically satys its for foul play.

So Id suggest it is NOT just a card for every PT no matter what.

I dont suppose I have any support. I also get OB's point about forensic examination of the workding of the laws. But I think the above is a very simple approach to the what the laws SAY.

hey ho.
I remain unconvinced the laws mean every PT is a card. ASs not every PT is foul play

didds

If an unintentional Offisde prevents a probable try, there is only a PK as it must be FP to result in a PT. The red highlight you have iused tells us that.

8.3 is clear. if there is Foul play (including INTENTIONAL OFFSIDE {but NOT "accidental"}) that prevents ourt probable try a Card is MANDATED (Caveat: YOu can ID the offender,).

The Lawmakers may not have intended that to be the case. But that is the beast they gave life to.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if there is Foul play (including INTENTIONAL OFFSIDE {but NOT "accidental"}) that prevents ourt probable try a Card is MANDATED (Caveat: YOu can ID the offender,).

can you paint the scene for me please where "accidental" offside prevents a probable try.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Generally speaking if you go down the route of favouring very old clarifications over the current Law Book you are going to go very far astray there are loads of clarifications from the past that are now superseded by subsequent Laws

does that mean that every clarification prior to 2018 is now null & void?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
does that mean that every clarification prior to 2018 is now null & void?

I dunno, I don't think so. .
Why 2018 particularly

I do think they need to delete clarifications that no longer apply

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You would hope all the clarifications were taken into account when they simplified the law book.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I dunno, I don't think so. . You used the term "very old clarifications". How old is very old?
Why 2018 particularly isn't that when the grand rewrite happened?

I do think they need to delete clarifications that no longer apply agree

msf..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We obviously agree that being misquoted is annoying :)

It's not really about 2018. Clarifications have gone out of date because of law changes before and since 2018.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
can you paint the scene for me please where "accidental" offside prevents a probable try.

Offside player retreating, kneeling down to stay out of the way, picked out by a scrum half who's passing out to a 4-on-1 overlap?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Offside player retreating, kneeling down to stay out of the way, picked out by a scrum half who's passing out to a 4-on-1 overlap?

Lucky 'accident' .. sounds like a YC to me even it wasn't a PT
:) :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Lucky 'accident' .. sounds like a YC to me even it wasn't a PT
:) :biggrin:

if 'picked out' means what I think it does it'd be a PK against the SH

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
see my post somewhere ^^^ up there Dickie.

didds

Red attacking hard into blue 22, about 10m out. First minute, no stoppages, no advantage. open play.

Ruck develops.

BIG blindside - one red attacker (A) , one blue defender(D) in that Blind side well away from the ruck area.

A is running forward hard, B creeps offside but not deliberately ruck - pass to A and D closes from offside position and just ankle taps red who knocks on into touch. No other defenders anywhere near.

Off side prevented a probably try especially under "beam me up"
That's a nailed on PT - a PK offense prevented a try.

But it ain't foul play.

is B the same player as D??? :holysheep:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
sorry - yes. B is the defender D - typo/mix up.