YC returning

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
nice on for you : After a try has been scored, can a YC player return to the pitch and take the conversion ?
I would say Yes .

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Interested in this, as normally I tell the captain to have the YC'd player come back for the restart.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, unless it is to take the conversion it doesn't matter either way anyway

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If the referee says he can come back on at that stage then the answer is yes.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
:unsure: Almost the exact same question just got posted in our Society WhatsApp, but that question was regarding a penalty kick at goal. 😲

If it's an interchange, then the answer is no in RFU-land (Reg 6, 60.f) but yes if anywhere else (WR clarification 2007-2).

I'm not sure for a player returning after a yellow card in RFU-land... since I can't find a specific text saying no (RFU reg 6 specifically relates to "rolling replacements", thus I think that returning player CAN take the kick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:unsure: Almost the exact same question just got posted in our Society WhatsApp, but that question was regarding a penalty kick at goal. 😲

If it's an interchange, then the answer is no in RFU-land (Reg 6, 60.f) but yes if anywhere else (WR clarification 2007-2).

I'm not sure for a player returning after a yellow card in RFU-land... since I can't find a specific text saying no (RFU reg 6 specifically relates to "rolling replacements", thus I think that returning player CAN take the kick.
A player returning from a YC is not the same as a sub coming on.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
A player returning from a YC is not the same as a sub coming on.
OK, I'll stick with my previous answer, YC returning player CAN take the kick.

Regarding subs, I wonder why RFU has a different position to WR? Does anyone recall if the RFU implemented that rule change after Bloodgate?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would think timing comes into this also.
Player red carded on 50 Minutes. Try scored 59:30. could he come on at 60.00 and still have a minute to convert?

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Player red carded on 50 Minutes. Try scored 59:30. could he come on at 60.00 and still have a minute to convert?
I assume you mean yellow carded.
I’m not aware of any law prohibiting it and would allow it.

Balones

Post Likes
Always been a supporter if quoting 2-2007 but Clarification 2-2012 does cloud the issue a bit I believe. Since then there has been some clarification/guidance which basically says that the return or entry of a player deornds entirely on the referee, but as ~i am writing this I cannot find the exact reference.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
nice on for you : After a try has been scored, can a YC player return to the pitch and take the conversion ?
I would say Yes .
Clearly you mean if that player's sin-bin time has expired by that point?

Balones

Post Likes
There is also clarification 1-2021 to consider. The problem is that many of these clarifications refer to replacements. A returning YC is not a replacement.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Always been a supporter if quoting 2-2007 but Clarification 2-2012 does cloud the issue a bit I believe. Since then there has been some clarification/guidance which basically says that the return or entry of a player deornds entirely on the referee, but as ~i am writing this I cannot find the exact reference.
How does 2-2012 cloud the issue?

Balones

Post Likes
Whenever I am now asked the question about when YCs can return or replacements can be made I simply say whenever the referee says so. This is the position of our professional refs. (I’ve asked several times.) I don’t like it personally because it leads to inconsistency and differences and confusion from one week/game to the next. Until 1-2021 I could advise referees on a clear and consistent process but I no longer can. I don’t like referees responding to the ‘when’ question with “when I say so”.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It basically doesn’t say the same thing as 2-2007.
Both are saying that the player can return when the ball is dead... I can't see where they disagree... can you please spell it out for me? Once that player has returned, they are allowed to take the kick per 2-2007.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Player [yellow] carded on 50 Minutes. Try scored 59:30. could he come on at 60.00 and still have a minute to convert?

I wouldn’t give extra time.

I’m ok with the YC player coming back on to take a kick, but for me once the try is awarded (or penalty awarded) and the countdown starts. You want to swap kicker 30s in, whether to wait for your best kicker to come back on or just changing your mind, that’s your prerogative but the clock is ticking.