YC returning

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I wouldn’t give extra time.

I’m ok with the YC player coming back on to take a kick, but for me once the try is awarded (or penalty awarded) and the countdown starts. You want to swap kicker 30s in, whether to wait for your best kicker to come back on or just changing your mind, that’s your prerogative but the clock is ticking.

FWIW, I don't believe Ciaran was stating they would get extra time, since it's a 90 second clock to take the kick, and their scenario adds up to 90 seconds. But agreed, clock is ticking as soon as the try is scored - how the team taking the kick wants to manage (waste) that time is up to them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my question I wasn't really asking about fine timings, I imagined someone with YC whose time expired during the play, so that when the try was scored he had clearly completed his time.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Both are saying that the player can return when the ball is dead... I can't see where they disagree... can you please spell it out for me? Once that player has returned, they are allowed to take the kick per 2-2007.
2007 - is mainly to do with a penalty kick. Says a player can return at a penalty kick.
2012 - says the return is when the referee says so.
2007 more or less defines a stoppage but 2012 says a stoppage is determined by the referee.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
2007 - is mainly to do with a penalty kick. Says a player can return at a penalty kick.
2012 - says the return is when the referee says so.
2007 more or less defines a stoppage but 2012 says a stoppage is determined by the referee.
I feel like you are over thinking something.

2007 states that a player may return if the YC time has expired and the ball then becomes dead, and that player may then kick at goal.
2012 clearly explains what scenario constitutes when a ball is dead and does not say anything that conflicts with the earlier 2007 clarification.