Yellow card after try, after time

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
yes, they might fit into the deep breath and here we go category.

yep.. but let's say the score is 42 points to 5 (in either direction)
I'd just end the game

If you prolong it by restarting the game there is no upside to anyone.

but there is a possible downside -- you are naturally expecting Blue to tap and kick to touch to end the game -- but they decide they are going to play on in order to teach a lesson to Red#6 .

I hear what you ar saying, and technically correct. But also some pragmatism can be appropriate.
I'm sorry, for me you can't do that. It is not backed up by law just the refs feeling at that moment. If a side is winning by 42 points and you deny them the chance of an extra 3 and they lose the league and don't get promoted on a points scored of 1 where does that put you on the "fairness" scale. They lost the chance to win the league and the outcome of next season on a decision that you can not back up in law but how you felt at the time.

You say there is no upside to anyone but you don't know that at the time unless you have studied the league table in detail and know all the permiatations of your decision and bring those onto the field with you.

Stick to the book for me. Then outcome is not based on a decision the ref has made. Rugby these days is more than just the 80 mins on the field there are many consequences that happen off the field of play. Yes, I know the chances are slim to none but why put yourself in that position. Stick to what can be backed up in law.
If blue decide to "teach a lesson to Red#6" that is their call but they will then suffer the concequences if they do so outside the law book. Again their choice not the referee's.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Also, if you had a captain, non offending team, who knew the law and that it should restart with a pk on the half way, and they wanted it, how would you sell your decision to blow up for no side?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"The referee's whistle blows for no side"
Now then, all of you of a certain age will have read that statement whilst doing an impression of Bill McLaren in your head ;)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Since the clock is running in terms of the allotted time for a conversion kick then the ball presumably isn't dead immediately after the try is awarded.
Therefore why is the mark for the penalty following an infringement in the ingoal not on the 5m line in line with the point of infringement as per 20.1?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
presumably... cos a restart after a try is always on the centre spot, and each try (PT aside) has a conversion.
So the PK is where play would restart ie on the centre spot, following the conversion

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"The referee's whistle blows for no side"
Now then, all of you of a certain age will have read that statement whilst doing an impression of Bill McLaren in your head ;)
Thanks for this. It took me on a moment of reminiscing that brought back what quality commentators really added to the game:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There may be for the side that is 37 points up.
they could extend that to 44 points up - for a better points difference in their league.

Or there may be for the team that is 37 points down
they could reduce that to 30 points down - for a better points difference in their league.
Possibly
But on the other hand someone has committed a YC worthy act of foul play after the whistle, after time has expired so I am imagining this is not a very well tempered game!
If we proceed to a fight it's not good for anyone

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If you're that worried, you should abandon the match - which you're effectively doing by ending it in contravention of the laws.

Unless it is exceptionally nasty-looking, to the point you would abandon it at any other point in the game, I'd call the captains over, manage it, and play on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're that worried, you should abandon the match - which you're effectively doing by ending it in contravention of the laws.

Unless it is exceptionally nasty-looking, to the point you would abandon it at any other point in the game, I'd call the captains over, manage it, and play on.
Technically yes, that is exactly what I would be doing

Match abandoned at 82 mins, after a successful conversion . Score 47-5

Really .. nothing to see there. Happy days

Speaking generally..Have you never blown for full time a couple minutes early as the match is lost and won, and everything is starting to get a bit lary ?

Every ref I know has done that... Not sure why you are treating the notion as so unusual

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Technically yes, that is exactly what I would be doing

Match abandoned at 82 mins, after a successful conversion . Score 47-5

Really .. nothing to see there. Happy days

Speaking generally..Have you never blown for full time a couple minutes early as the match is lost and won, and everything is starting to get a bit lary ?

Every ref I know has done that... Not sure why you are treating the notion as so unusual

Except that if you abandon a match you need to complete a match abandonment form, which goes to the RFU.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so the path of least resistance is to award the PK on half way and play the match out and save the paperwork. If needed with a strong word with the captains about any stupidity will be a RC as if you have to fill the paperwork in you'll do it for that, and if you have to spend time filling in one RC form you might be tempted to be happy to fill in several...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Except that if you abandon a match you need to complete a match abandonment form, which goes to the RFU.
In theory but is that what you do when you decide to blow a couple of mins early ? I have never heard of that happening

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In theory but is that what you do when you decide to blow a couple of mins early ? I have never heard of that happening

If I blow a couple of minutes early it isn't an abandoned match. My watch is just a bit fast ;)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I blow a couple of minutes early it isn't an abandoned match. My watch is just a bit fast ;)
And in the OP scenario I think you'll find that the offence actually happened a moment or two before I awarded the try ;-)