Yellow card for swearing in Nat 1 match

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Coventry v Birmingham & Solihull
Coventry attacking down their right hand side, and a ruck develops just inside the Bees' 22m line, out near the right hand touchline. It's a slow ball to get out, and Cov's French lock is standing up in the ruck bracing against tbe B&S forwards.
The Bees' hooker - half a head shorter than Benji - charges into the ruck and shoulder charges him, trying to disrupt getting the ball back; he bounces off. He tries again - entering properly from behind the back foot; same result. Third time lucky? He's in again, this time helping his charge with his fists.

By now the Cov lock is getting tired of it, and turns and shouts to the assistant referee (Steve Savage) - "Oi! Touch! See him ****ing punching me? Number two!"
The ever cheerful Steve Savage on the line ceases his banter with the crowd for long enough to radio it in to the ref, who blows up and stops the game.

Yellow card to the Cov lock for swearing at an official.

Would you do the same if you were an assistant referee?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
He was swearing, but not at the AR. Unless the team had been warned about language (eg in a public park with kiddies about) (or the TO3 were at the end of their tethers with appeals) then there is, in my view, no justification for this sanction.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... By now the Cov lock is getting tired of it, and turns and shouts to the assistant referee (Steve Savage) - "Oi! Touch! See him ****ing punching me? Number two!" The ever cheerful Steve Savage on the line ceases his banter with the crowd for long enough to radio it in to the ref, who blows up and stops the game. Yellow card to the Cov lock for swearing at an official. Would you do the same if you were an assistant referee?
If I'm honest, to me it sounds like an over-reaction by an AR with a guilty conscience.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Savage is /was a senior AR official (development officer?) - so not inexperienced. Is there more to it than just this incidence of swearing?

We have a couple of panel ARs in our Society and I think SS is their "boss"

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Steve Savage is the RFU Panel AR Development Manager - he selects who joins the National Panel and who is pushed through to the elite.

He is highly experienced AR. Any video posted of the incident ? Maybe there had been other issues wuth the second row earlier ?

I will try to find out more and views as we have Stu (IRB AR), Paul (new Society Chairman) and Roger (Premiership ARs) and Tim / Mike (Panel ARs) plus Peter (Panel AR Assessor) - quite some AR expefrience in one Society.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If he is charging in to the ruck without binding on a team mate, then in what way is he doing it legally?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If he is charging in to the ruck without binding on a team mate, then in what way is he doing it legally?
Exactly. Pity the AR didn't see fit to radio in those 3 rapid fire offences. Perhaps if he had the Lock wouldn't have needed to say anything.

I say,ddjamo- would you careto introduce me to that stunning lass in your new avatar?
The mind boggles. :biggrin:

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...Would you do the same if you were an assistant referee?
No, it does seem an odd call by the AR.
Referee for the game was Simon Harding.
Didn't affect the outcome of the match by the looks of it : Coventry 29 - 13 Birmingham & Solihull