Scottish Rugby Union

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
unfortunately I think Scotland will vote no --- and we'll never know what would happened.
Agree. Shame to miss their golden opportunity. Com'on :scot: 24 hours to change the world as we know it!

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Shame to miss their golden opportunity.

There is, to be granted, an opportunity but there sure as hell ain't no gold!

I've just walked past a guy going to the polls with a "Westminster Scum" t-shirt on and I'm not quite sure I want to share his vision for Scotland.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There is, to be granted, an opportunity but there sure as hell ain't no gold!

I've just walked past a guy going to the polls with a "Westminster Scum" t-shirt on and I'm not quite sure I want to share his vision for Scotland.

Where can I get one?

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I also thought that the purpose of the 10 year "wait" was to get finances in order as well as law.

And currently Scotland doesn't have any full finances, so has no Debt - GDP ratio or any of the other "qualifiers" for EU membership. So how many years will they require for that? They also have no banking regulator, or any of the other financial regulators necessary, in place - unless they are going to "contract" it out to the FSA, BoE etc.

I don't think EU membership is such a slam dunk as others do, but also I think the EU is likely to allow them in quicker than the 10years. But I can't see them letting them have the opt outs the rUK has. (And on that note - I assume Thatchers "rebate" would be up for discussion again......)

Nope, it's primarily about the applicant member's system of law, although economic criteria form a part, especially when there are serious concerns about the economy of the applicant.

Austria (5), Finland(3) and Sweden(4) took less than half a decade to apply and join. Scotland could very easily be fast-tracked.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
But the negotiation of terms would be very interesting. I would see the EU having the upper hand and Scotland being forced to adopt the Euro.

Why? Sweden didn't join the € when applying for membership and currently the list is at 10 members without the €, with only Lithuania intending to join.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nope, it's primarily about the applicant member's system of law, although economic criteria form a part, especially when there are serious concerns about the economy of the applicant.

Austria (5), Finland(3) and Sweden(4) took less than half a decade to apply and join. Scotland could very easily be fast-tracked.

They were all previously EFTA members with solid economies that would helped to counterbalance the expected intake of weaker economies from expansion in central Europe. Scotland doesn't even have an (independent) economy.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Phew - the Rabo Pro12 is safe for another 300 years!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
when the sponsorship came up, GoPro missed an opportinty I reckon

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Sweden joined the EU in 1995, 4 years before the Euro as an accounting currency, and 7 years as a cash currency, existed.

Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/countries/index_en.htm

The ERM - the precursor to joining the € - has been in existence since 1979 and has been superceded by ERM II - which is now the accepted precursor to joning the €. Currently only Denmark and Lithuania are in ERM II

Sweden still chooses to stay outside of the ERM and thus the eurozone and there's nothing the ECB or anyone in Europe can do about it. It's a decision for the country in question alone.