4 ways of scoring a try?

R

Roger Jones

I've heard there are 4 ways of scoring a try without crossing the line. What are they?

Woolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think i know 3
ON the line
Base of post pads
Whilst touch in goal

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Law 22 covers In goal can't see anything special there

Law 22.1 (see below) covers attacking and defending players but in the event of an attacking player carrying out either action a try is scored....

22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.
(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

then a bit later in the Laws we read....
22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY
(a) Grounded on the goal line. The goal line is part of the in-goal. If an attacking player is first to ground the ball on the opponents’ goal line, a try is scored.
(b) Grounded against a goal post. The goal posts and padding surrounding them are part of the goal line, which is part of in-goal. If an attacking player is first to ground the ball against a goal post or padding, a try is scored.

Making a total of four ways to score it total but only two with out crossing the line - surely you're awarded a penalty try you don't score one?

R

Roger Huw Jones

The key to my question is 4 ways to score a try WITHOUT crossing the try line.

Woolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
fancy not getting the most obvious one!
22.4(g)
Attacking player in touch or touch in goal can score a try provided he is not carrying the ball ie. he has not actually crossed the try line

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
fancy not getting the most obvious one!
22.4(g)
Attacking player in touch or touch in goal can score a try provided he is not carrying the ball ie. he has not actually crossed the try line

Great, that was the one I put in my message above but then deleted :mad:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
6.A.11 THE BALL IN IN-GOAL TOUCHED BY NON-PLAYER
The referee judges what would have happened next and awards a try or a touch down at the place where the ball was touched.

Not sure if you mean the BALL or a PLAYER crossing the line. In this case, the ball could have been chipped into in goal and become stationary, with an attacking player by far the closest to the ball chasing after it.

Then, a dog comes along, bites the ball, and runs off with it (it's a big dog).

At this point, the player is still not in in-goal, but the referee awards a try.

Last edited:
S

Sinkers

seen this happen
chip through player goes out in touch
ball remains in play
player re emerged behind spectators
to touch down
through touch in goal !!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
seen this happen
chip through player goes out in touch
ball remains in play
player re emerged behind spectators
to touch down
through touch in goal !!

You should have had the pitched suitably roped off...:wink:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
So, to summarise?

The question should've been FIVE ways for a ref. to award a try without crossing the try line?

1.Post base 2. On the line 3. Penalty try 4. From touch-in-goal 5. from dead ball line ?

T

The Saint

Bryan,

Can tell you're a Newfie. Only you guys would have a dog that big:biggrin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, to summarise?

The question should've been FIVE ways for a ref. to award a try without crossing the try line?

1.Post base 2. On the line 3. Penalty try 4. From touch-in-goal 5. from dead ball line ?

Pretty much. If we are being picky, 1 and 2 are really the same thing - the base of the post only counts as a try because it is considered to be the goal line

O

outofpuff

What would happen if the attacking player (in goal) is held and touches the ref with the ball?
All other players legal. Player with ball on feet
I know Ref shouldn't be that close but....
:chin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Also, technically if the ref is standing on the try line and the attackign player hits the ref and gains an advantage, they try is awarded where contact with the ref was, neither have crossed the line.

So there's another one!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Doesn't the post itself count as 'in goal' not just the base?:chin: