Hartley red card - Saints v Leinster

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For example: a small slap to the face (of the sort that floored Pape)

that really made me smile: I am imagining it on the referee's RC report

I saw Red #12 give Blue #5 a small slap to the face. I issued a RC and told him to leave the field.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but it is possible to swing a punch and regret it immediately and pull out so you don't connect.

so you intended a punch, and then intended to miss..

too late. noble though your final cause was.

It musty be so difficult for football to referee this.

or maybe because of it nobody actually throws a punch, except to expect a red card. How strange.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
or maybe because of it nobody actually throws a punch, except to expect a red card. How strange.

I have a different idea about why footballers don't throw punches!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
6 N starts in... 7 weeks at a guess?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Six Weeks is nowhere near enough given his appalling record of thuggery. Only one week added on for his previous form? Really? What a gutless cop-out by the judiciary. Yet another lost opportunity to send a real message that thugs won't be tolerated in the game.

How convenient that it was just enough to allow him to play in the opening match of the Six Nations. I smell a rat at the highest levels of the European game.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
How convenient that it was just enough to allow him to play in the opening match of the Six Nations. I smell a rat at the highest levels of the European game.

It's always been thus. Whenever Martin Johnson was banned he would 'coincidentally' be free to play again a week before England's next match.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Six Weeks is nowhere near enough given his appalling record of thuggery. Only one week added on for his previous form? Really? What a gutless cop-out by the judiciary. Yet another lost opportunity to send a real message that thugs won't be tolerated in the game.

Spot on. Sends completely the wrong message to the game.

Sad day.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's 2 weeks for deterrence and subtract 1 for a guilty plea.

How the hell he could have pled otherwise is beyond me.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Would someone who as appeared so often before the beak/panel lose their right to lenience due to being polite at some point?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

It proves the system is corrupt. Did we expect anything else?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think the word "corrupt" is a bit OTT, but there certainly seems to be some "other factors" at work at times.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I dunno - the main reason that people are giving for six weeks not being enough, is that the 6N starts in seven weeks (ie he deserved to miss a bit of that, at least).

but that's not the way the disciplinary system works.

I have yet to see an argument that is actually based on the process
- entry point / mid point / top end
- severity of offence on that scale
+ deterence
+/- previous record
+/- remorse behaviour
etc.

really any argument that 6-weeks isn't enough need to run through those steps, see what you end up with.

the fact that the 6N is seven weeks away is not relevant

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Fair enough CR... what were the top/middle/bottom ranges for his act? I dunno .

can 6 weeks legitimately get arraived at ?

the whole thing just starts to smell a bit really...

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well that's the point I am making, didds - if you know neither the criteria for deciding if its top/middle/bottom nor the recommended sanctions for top/middle/bottom... then, really, you can't have a valid opinion about whether six weeks is the right penalty.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He was charged with striking 10.4(a) I believe.
LE 2 weeks
MR 5 weeks
TE 8+ weeks (max 52)

Presumably they called it MR, added a couple on for previous record and/or deterrence, and took one off for a guilty plea and not eating the biscuits.

Result = 6 weeks

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
sounds plausible ...
..or could the starting point have even been less than 5 ? after all some posters here felt it wasn't even a RC offence...

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I heard their thinking was:
Mid range = 6 weeks (fair enough)
Guilty plea = -1 week (given that the evidence against him was overwhelming, I don't know if the guilty plea is worth anything)
Remorse = -1 week (well who isn't sorry by the time they're in the dock?)
Previous record = +2 weeks (this is where they could, and IME should, have hit him. Makes you wonder how bad a record you'd need for an appreciable extension)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well that's the point I am making, didds - if you know neither the criteria for deciding if its top/middle/bottom nor the recommended sanctions for top/middle/bottom... then, really, you can't have a valid opinion about whether six weeks is the right penalty.

Oh _ I thoubght there were puvblished criteria for min/max sanctions etc. Apologies!

Fair comment CR. Thanks :)

didds