Recent content by Bury_Dave

1. Bury_Dave

Change in the wind ?

Interesting article in the Telegraph with WB and others about future wider role for TMO. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9131923/Top-rugby-referees-plead-we-need-to-expand-TV-view-so-we-can-always-see-bigger-picture.html All very good I'm sure but why is...
  2. Bury_Dave

Delon Armitage - should've gone to Specsavers

Yet again DA has made a high tackle and laughed it off as he wanders off the pitch for another 10 minute breather. He seems to think that what is proving to be habitual behavior is to be shrugged off with a smile. :mad: Surely his eyesight can't be that faulty ? This weekend's one looked...
  3. Bury_Dave

Brendan Gallagher's 3 tips to improve refereeing.

I have to say I quite agree http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/8833356/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-three-suggestions-for-top-level-referees-stop-yapping-learn-the-lingo-talk-to-the-press.html Do you agree too ? What would you add to or remove from the list ? I should...
  4. Bury_Dave

Whistle Etiquette

Hi All, Just wondering how many types of whistle blasts there are in a game. I've been told that there are two. One akin to spitting into the whistle for touch, scrum etc and a serious full lung blast for all penalties. BUT when I watch a lot of local games it would seem that the range of...
  5. Bury_Dave

Scrummaging - why the dead straight put-in ?

Hi All, I'm a new ref'. Just done my first youth and adult games in the last 2 weeks - interesting to put it mildly !:Nerv: I spent the 80 minutes of the senior's game wishing it would all stop and ever since then keen to get back on the field and ref again ! :chin: It would have been...
  6. Bury_Dave

To call "Ruck" or not to call ruck.

Hi All, I was lucky enough to be at Twickenham on Saturday for the opening double header. The ref' in the first game called 'ruck' once. In the second game, Mr Richards called it several times (maybe more the reflink went down for a while) and each time called 'hands away'. From my lofty M23...
  7. Bury_Dave

Scrums - things to look for.

Hi, New guy here. Just did my ELRA a week ago in order to get more involved in my son's U14 rugby and perhaps eventually more of our clubs' squads by assisting with the apparent lack of referees. I'm finding the prospect of ref'ing (initially) youth games an exciting prospect and it's certainly...