Delon Armitage - should've gone to Specsavers

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yet again DA has made a high tackle and laughed it off as he wanders off the pitch for another 10 minute breather.

He seems to think that what is proving to be habitual behavior is to be shrugged off with a smile. :mad:

Surely his eyesight can't be that faulty ? This weekend's one looked lethal :norc:

I suppose you can only react to each, individual act but as an habitual high tackler, I'd love to see him on a probation for so many games such that he gets an automatic red for every high tackle he makes. Impractical I know but I'd like to see him stopped.

It's a shame as he looked to have so much potential 3-4 years ago but now looks positively ordinary.

Any thoughts on how to deal with known felons ?

Dave

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Yet again DA has made a high tackle and laughed it off as he wanders off the pitch for another 10 minute breather.

Any thoughts on how to deal with known felons ? Dave

As i suggested in my sub proposal . . . punish the obvious culprits and connivers . . . coach, captain, selectors and club.:norc:

What club is going to risk employing him if they end his contract for that specific reason . . A bloody liability.

When the RFU get the management England deserve to have, perhaps they'll pave the way to minimise RC issues by bollocking and fining the guilty clubs. . . . laws and management of them certainly aren't. :sad:

Last edited:

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
What I don't understand is the following quote :

“We accept that both these incidents were reckless and not malicious,” said Judge Jeff Blackett, who chaired the three-man disciplinary committee at Twickenham. “However, in relation to the dangerous tackle on Tom Biggs there was the potential for significant injury and for that reason we believe that it was a mid-range entry level offence of six weeks. We increased it to eight because of concerns raised by the IRB about injuries caused by dangerous tackles and because of his poor disciplinary record.

“We then reduced the sanction to five weeks because of his guilty plea, his contrition and the impressive way he conducted himself at the hearing. In relation to the strike to which he also pleaded guilty, we decided that this was a low-end entry offence and for that we imposed a three-week suspension.

So, if you are a good actor and suitably contrite in front of the panel, you get less time ? The idea that all the offences are "reckless and not malicious" when so many of them happen seems an odd conclusion to make. Maybe Delon is a bit on the 'speshul' spectrum and not really all there as he's failing to learn from his past actions ? That thought in itself is a bit worrying. I would have thought / hoped that Toby would be giving him serious hell over all this.

And why should the sentences be served concurrently rather than consequecutively ? Off to the cooler with him !!

Perhaps he should move to football where such actions are lauded ?

Dave

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would expect somebody who has been sent off 3 times in a year and committed a serious breach off the field in our neck of the woods would get more than 5 weeks

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Do clubs dock a player's earnings when they get suspended?
One would hope so as to many players these days, hitting them in the pocket will unfortunately tend to get a message through quicker than verbalising/coaching an issue. Money talks.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting conversation with Bournemouth's coach Tim Collier the other week when I assessed them.

When he was at Saracens a few season's ago, a YC meant a fine (serious ££ fine) and a RC involved serious internal disciplinary hearing and actions (plus even more ££££ fine).

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Interesting conversation with Bournemouth's coach Tim Collier the other week when I assessed them.

When he was at Saracens a few season's ago, a YC meant a fine (serious ££ fine) and a RC involved serious internal disciplinary hearing and actions (plus even more ££££ fine).

Isn't it about time, the club was fined for unleashing a known 'serial thug'? That could very well be one of the effective deterrents that should be tried?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't it about time, the club was fined for unleashing a known 'serial thug'? That could very well be one of the effective deterrents that should be tried?

A point of view perhaps some at the extreme would sympathise with, rather like shooting all Cornishmen who come north of the Tamar, but most I suspect might view your suggestion as a little bit of an over-reaction, with little to substantiate it in proven effects on on-field behaviour by players. :biggrin:

PS Mrs T is currently in Sennen and earlier today saw a very nice cottage for sale in Portreath just above the harbour. She is off to see another in Maenporth tomorrow. I arrive at Bodmin from Paddington Friday evening on my way to "Steinville" for the weekend, catching the match at Wadebridge on Saturday.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
A point of view perhaps some at the extreme would sympathise with, rather like shooting all Cornishmen who come north of the Tamar, but most I suspect might view your suggestion as a little bit of an over-reaction, with little to substantiate it in proven effects on on-field behaviour by players. :biggrin:

PS Mrs T is currently in Sennen and earlier today saw a very nice cottage for sale in Portreath just above the harbour. She is off to see another in Maenporth tomorrow. I arrive at Bodmin from Paddington Friday evening on my way to "Steinville" for the weekend, catching the match at Wadebridge on Saturday.

Wouldn't you and Mrs T fancy a newy-built (just about finished) detached house on the south coast just a mile from Cadgwith, up the road from Kennack Sands beach? Or another in Porthleven? We've got two for sale.:hap:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
do we get a discount for buying both?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think if any sale goes throught RR.com should get a commision, whats the going rate for T*A*S (i mean estate agents) 2% seems fair? :wink:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I think if any sale goes throught RR.com should get a commision, whats the going rate for T*A*S (i mean estate agents) 2% seems fair? :wink:

:=. . . . as I said, TBFG, . . . . willing to negotiate.:hap:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
To answer the original post, at National League level and above (ie the levels where RFU discipline department is in charge) three foul play yellow cards in a season will get you an appointment with HHJ and his team. This is when serial offenders who manage to avoid RCs with lots of niggly stuff get picked up and dealt with as appropriate.
YCs are of course viewed by the citing commissioner at Championship and Premiership and so can get you an appointment by themselves if it should have been red.
Serial offenders have their sanctions increased at disciplinary hearings as an aggravating feature (as happened to Armitage in this case).

Maybe Delon is a bit on the 'speshul' spectrum
This, in my opinion, is in very poor taste and has no place on this forum.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Wouldn't you and Mrs T fancy a newy-built (just about finished) detached house on the south coast just a mile from Cadgwith, up the road from Kennack Sands beach? Or another in Porthleven? We've got two for sale.:hap:

No thanks, we don't like the Lizard area much. She is looking at two in Marazion today, after staying in Mousehole at the Coastguard last night.
Porthleven could be interesting - send me a PM with the details please.

I am on the 17:05 from Paddington, so in Bodmin for 21:00 ish this evening. We will be in Sennen tomorow afternoon seeing her family.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Re. Post #6: So, if you are a good actor and suitably contrite in front of the panel, you get less time ? The idea that all the offences are "reckless and not malicious" when so many of them happen seems an odd conclusion to make. Maybe Delon is a bit on the 'speshul' spectrum and not really all there as he's failing to learn from his past actions ? That thought in itself is a bit worrying. I would have thought / hoped that Toby would be giving him serious hell over all this.

. . . This, in my opinion, is in very poor taste and has no place on this forum.

Read in context, Dave's sentiment has a reasonable and understandable ring to it. What justifies your 'no place on this forum' opinion please, Jacko?

Interesting info' tho'. I wonder how many players are aware of it?

If they're not, perhaps they should all have a copy given to them it may very well act as an additional deterrent . . . to the retaliatory 'red mist' players that is, not the unconscionable serial thugs, it appears they're beyond redemption.:sad:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Are you honestly asking which part of a post containing the phrase "'speshul' spectrum" I found distasteful??
Wow.